Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last 2 nights were both frosts in Northern Pennsylvania. Temps this morning, and yesterday morning the 20th of September were between: 28-30F.

Difficult to say whether this was a killing frost.

Most of the golden rod had already begun to fade, but I cannot remember such cold temperatures this early since I began living here.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For this time of the year 28F is rare. I've never seen a frost like this in September since I started living here.

I know that cold temperature records were broken this morning, the 21st of September.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It was a couple weeks ago here in Southern Montana, 22.5 f, then several days of frost since. We're back into the 70s and 80s here but our killing frost has come and gone.

Lee

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
My tomatoes are still blooming. We failed to get the freeze and it still has not come. Was in my bees to feed yesterday and they were mean as bees protecting what they have when nothing is going to come in. Everything here is dried out past the length of the garden hose.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My mom's from Elk County, Pa and her brother, Uncle Don, taught at UM Bozeman. He couldn't decide which had the worst winter weather. I lived in Maine, not far from Saltybee, still have a house in Boothbay and do like being up there in the winter at -30F -possibly because I know I can fill up the pick up and head south now. We're still warm here, Goldenrod at 30%, aster budding and ragweed not even started. We skated off 40 degrees yesterday but the next 10 forecast is for high 70's, maybe a couple of 80's and lows near 50. Bough 5 gallons of syrup today, know the weather is not going to last.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frost was clearly not strong enough to be classified as "killing".

Certain flowers are providing plenty of forage.

I have been winter feeding and I now worry about the colonies getting honey bound.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Eastern WA. Per plantmaps.com, our average first frost is Sep 21-30. At our specific address, we are probably a week earlier on average. We had ours a couple of weeks ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts