Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had our first frost last night, was 32F. Ice on the roofs of cars, ice on any metal surface.

Please post your first frost dates.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,275 Posts
I think a first frost thread is a good idea, maybe should be a sub forum like bloom dates and swarm dates. We are getting down to 47°F tonight. First cool night this fall. Next week we will be back into the mid 90s for daytime highs. In Richmond, first frost usually seems to be mid to late October, but I really have not paid it much attention, or at least recorded it.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I think a first frost thread is a good idea, maybe should be a sub forum like bloom dates and swarm dates. We are getting down to 47°F tonight. First cool night this fall. Next week we will be back into the mid 90s for daytime highs. In Richmond, first frost usually seems to be mid to late October, but I really have not paid it much attention, or at least recorded it.
Might be a good sub-forum. 35 last night....

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,275 Posts
A light frost will appear on things like your car roof and windshield and often occurs at temps not quite at freezing. It does not kill blooms. A hard frost will turn the grass white and crunchy. That is your end of bloom date.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Sept 17 on the grass on the low fields. Ocean did not stop that one, dead still air. Didn't bother the asters or golden rod.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been tracking first frosts for a few years, and the average date for my bee yard is 21 October. So hopefully we've got another month of goldenrod, yellow ironweed, and cosmos flowers--all of which the bees are starting to forage now that other nectar sources have dried up.

Central Missouri

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
"which is obviously not necessary."
You mean like keeping bees for a hobby? don't know anybody like that myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We got our first frost in South Central Alaska on September 22nd. We usually have a frost in late August so we are running a little behind this year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
at 6400 feet, we had light frost on 9/23. I also keep rough data on first and last frost - and 2019 is a week later than 2018 at my house. Ice on leaves, drops of water frozen on porch chairs, but water in tanks clear.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts