Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going this evening to a colony in a tree base. The owner wants them removed. Should I have a frame of brood and eggs in the hive body we are placing at the tree. The bee entrance is real close to ground level so it will be easy to get to. I need information in a hurry. Thanks lots.

Should I have some nurse bees in the box?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Watch the weather. A cold front has come thru here in Texas today. I think putting the brood would be a good idea. Place a screen wire cone over the tree enterance and place the trap enterance next to it. Good luck and keep us posted. Yes to the nurse bees.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had no choice as to the weather being bad for trying to get the bees. The owner said they go now or he will spray them. We screened the entrance and put a screen cone on the screen. The hive is setup right in front of the tree. Decided not to put any brood in the hive but did have eight frames of comb a couple of them had honey. We also put sugar water in a second deep on top. I will be surprised if anything is still there tomorrow. The hive we placed is right beside the road in a VERY rural part of the county. I will check tomorrow to see if anything is happening.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds good. If the bees start using it and I'm sure they will,in a few day when the weather clears you can put in a frame of brood with eggs and they can do the queen thing. The trap out will take several weeks. The old hive will have to starv out, other wise the hive will reestablish itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts