Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
split 2 out of three hives today... will split the other tomorrow

The first hive i split i had to move a few feet to split it. Took the toip box off and set it on the cover, set the bottom box on top of it. Placed the bb one one side of a new pallet and another bb on the other side. Then put a supper on top of each. Went through the now top box ( was bottom) and split it frame for frame between the two boxes. Did the same with the bottom box trying to even out frames etc.

I found a fair bit of capped brood but didn't see any eggs. For the most part all cells had something in them, wondering if the queen ran out of room and stopped laying? hive was full of bees on all frames. I figure i will go back to that split in a few days and look for eggs, i'll move some eggs from one hive to the other to try to let it raise its own queen.

I then put a box of drawn frames on top of both and reduced the entrances to about half width.

I did the same thing with the hive that wasn't on the common pallet with the first one i split. Did the same procedure with it but found 4 frames with queen cells that had grubs in them along with a lot of fresh eggs. I took two queen cells and placed them in each of the two new supers on this one. Also added a super of drawn comb on top.

Still have not found a queen in any of my hives, just evidence that they are around.

I didn't want to split the other hive tonight as one of the new hives would have ended up exactly where one of the old ones was that got split and i wanted to eliminate the added confusion for the returning field workers.

Do this all seem right? anything to change or correct?

I want to let the hive that didn't seem to have any eggs raise its own queen if i can as it seemed to be a great producer last year. Started as a 4 frame nuc may 22nd and ended up taking 3 supers of honey off it while leaving 2 supers (one brood one reserves) for it to winter on. So it drew 46 frames and filled them.

Lots of bees in the air.. a few pissy ones ramming the veil but all told good considering i tore the two hives apart frame by frame. No stings, full suit and gloves. +20c around 5pm

Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Sounds good, now try it without all the body armor. It is possible you squished quite a few with the lack of tactile feel from wearing gloves. Once the alarm pheremone is in the air from squashing they get mean.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't think i killed any due to the gloves.. the lots in the air was mainly due to the workers returning home as far as i could tell. Very few bees left the frames to take flight while i pulled the hive apart. I plan on opeing up the one that i couldn't find eggs in and placing two frames off drawn foundation into the bottom box in the 3 and 7 poitions today to give the queen room to work if she is still in there.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If you listen to the bees, the split without the queen would have probably been a little louder, fanning and such. FBM taught me that little "trick" when i went to go get my Nuc from him. He taught me to listen.....they can telly ou a lot most of the time.....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i noticed on ehive out of each split seemed to be more active, more bees coming and going. I assumed this would be the one with the queen? I will try the listening thing next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts