Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on my first ever cutout from inside a house. My boss approached me Thursday and asked about removing some bees that were going into a crack near a second story window. Today was the day we agreed upon. I got up early and assembled all my bee wrangling gear. Knives, scrapers, hive body with attached bottom board, smoker, syrup, brushes, pans, etc. Drove 35 miles to his son's new old house which is undergoing renovations. Got the house tour. Finally get up to the second story and look out the window, yellow jackets.

·
Registered
607 Posts
As I started reading, I thought "How come no photos?" When I got to the end, I understand why.

Bummer.

·
Super Moderator
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I told him he called me out to collect a beehive. I expect him to provide me with one. Yeah, not holding my breath on that one. :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
He, now that's a bummer!!! I'd be a bit upset...lol looking for bees, and a nasty yellow jacket nest. Those things are scary. All the work to get there, and then no work... sad it was your boss.i have done a couple cutouts, never as spoken about, and sometimes very disappointing I'd guess. I like low hanging swarms now !!! 😊

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
.....Finally get up to the second story and look out the window, yellow jackets.
LOL

This is why you want to ask for a picture before even raising your butt away from the computer (even for your boss, hehe).
On our local bee forum we always ask for a picture (preferably a short video).
I ain't driving without seeing a pic - too much time wasted as is (bumble bees, wasps, YJs, mason bees, you name it).

·
Super Moderator
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually did get several photos and a short video. All were blury. The activity around the hole did look like honey bee foragers though. Apparently, yellow jackets returning to their nest behave in a similar fashion. I feel sorry for my boss though, based on the number of wasps flying in and out over a very short time span, they are estimating colony size at around 10,000 Going to take multiple visits ($$$) from the pest control company before they even attempt to remove the sheetrock.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Its got to take a lot of yellow jackets to look like a thriving feral bee colony! We train at our local club to always ask for a clear picture first, also asking simple questions like, what color are their legs?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I did a yellow jacket removal for a friend once. Was working at his house. They made a nest at the wall, and concrete/brick on rear porch. They were hot that day. I waited till dark, got me a couple tubes concrete patch. Filled those holes up fast. I must have got all holes filled. Next evening he called me and asked what was roaring in the walls. Told him, he about died. 1 week later, we cut out the sheetrock all dead, removed all dead bees, and comb/nest and repaired. Must have been several thousand y. Jackets in there. Shop vac cleaned em all up. Those things were chewing into sheetrock, where not covered with insulation. Got em in time though. Rich

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was called out one time for a cutout. A doctor's house that had bees in the ceiling of a second story bedroom. After the doctor signed a contract - I wanted to make sure I was protected - my friend and I went in to the bedroom - closed the door - put up plastic (for the mess that about to start) and got ready.

With utility knife in hand to cut the sheetrock - I chose a small area which was discolored than the remaining ceiling. As the utility blade pierced what little was left of the sheetrock in that area - it was paper thin - yellow jackets started streaming out. Good thing I had my shopvac. At one point - I sealed the hole to tell the owner what we found.

He said "Go ahead and take care of them - that's what I'm paying you for." Between the shop vac and spraying poison, we killed all of them. The owner was happy and paid the price I had quoted.

Anymore - I refuse to do cutouts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts