Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done first cutout ever today. We thought it was one hive after cutting into the wall two seperate hives. The owner said one hive had been there for five years. This is pics of the hive that had been there for five years. The other hive had to put on disposable camera will update them as soon as I get them. This is the hive that had been there for five years.
http://s859.photobucket.com/albums/ab154/alabamabuzzinbeez/First%20honeybee%20cutout/

·
Registered
507 Posts
What an incredible experience! Man, you are very fortunate. Was that capped honey on the last two combs on the right? If so, that's a ton of honey.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there was a ton of honey in that hive. It was a great experience. Like I said we were going with the impression it was one hive but it was two. We got the first hive out and then there was still bees going in the lower part of the wall. We removed the paneling on the wall and wow there was another huge hive. I was so excited. LOL it is 12:30 A.M. here now and I am still to excited to sleep. I really am enjoying this.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
That comb is really dark looking, there must be several years worth of wear and tear on that comb!! Nice pics! Was the honey up above and the brood comb down below????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the honey was up at the top and the brood was down at the bottom. I filled about 4 five gallon buckets up with honey and comb. I also gave the home owner a bucket to keep for letting us come and remove them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I can say is wow!!! I am still so excited about this cutout. Needless to say I did not get much sleep last night. LOL!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did you get stung? I get stund every single time that I do a cutout somewhere. I did a cutout on some bees just last night and got hammered twice. I really don't know what it is about my beesuit but I get hammered around my elbows, inside of my elbows every single, stinking time. Maybe I shouldn't put my elbows in the hive :eek: Just kidding.

Enjoy that honey. When I do a cutout like that, I put on surgical gloves and squeeze the honey out of the comb into a plastic pitcher and then strain through multiple layers of cheese cloth. It's a really big hit around town.

Congratulations again. What a haul!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe it or not I did not get stung. Everbody else that was there got stung but not me. I laughed at them cause they got stung. LOL today I was moving the bees into there new hive and wham I got stung :doh:. Then everyone laughed at me. :applause: Gues I got what I deserved. Well I still love it stings and all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts