Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did my first cut-out at a buddies house this past Sunday the 6th. I followed all the steps that i have heard on here. All went well and the hive is still a few inches from where we cut it from. The only problem is that a grapefruit sized ball of bees is still clustered on the side(previous entrance) of the house. I thought that they would have gone in the hive by now. I haven't opened the hive yet so i don't know if I got the queen or not. There was a good amount of brood and honey, and I did see some fresh eggs. What should I do with the bees on the house? Could it be that the queen isn't in the hive and they are with her? Should I brush them off and dump them in the top?

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you can get to them, I would brush them into a box and then dump them in the hive. They could have been foragers that came back after you did the cutout. Just my thoughts. Congrats on the cutout :applause:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its it my first hive. im not gonna be able to get there till tommorow. BTW we did it without a single sting!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help guys. the bees went in the hive box, and i took them to my house. i do, however, have a few more questions.
i think i lost the queen during the cut-out. i have spotted what i think is an emergency cell on the side of one of the frames. the bees are coming and going at a very high rate.
1. 'i have an entrance reducer on, and it seems like i should take it off at the rate that they are coming and going. should i?
2. i have 2 entrance feeders on the top of the cover and they are killing it. would it be a good idea to fill one of them with water? or will they get it from the 1:1 syrup? also, if they keep taking it, should i keep feeding it to them?
3. i think that i may need to add a second deep to the hive. they have got 8 or 9 frames just about filled out. should i add another, or wait till i open it up to see if the virgin queen is within?
4. the inner cover has a notch for an extra entrance. should that be in front or back?

all together it seems like a very strong hive already. with all of the knowledge on here, it has really helped a lot.

thanks
josh

·
Registered
507 Posts
Josh,

Congratulations on a great cut-out and this being your first ... double congrats!

You did a great job of giving them back their own brood comb. If they have 8-9 frames drawn out, I would certainly put another box with foundation on top of them.

If they are slamming the 1:1 sugar syrup, keep giving it to them. It helps them draw out comb faster.

When you inspect the hive, look for the queen but be sure to look for eggs in the bottom of the cells, dead-center like a bulls-eye. That will be proof you have a laying queen even if you can't see one. Check for the queen, queen cells, etc.

Now, you are going to get the itch to do more cutouts and increase the number of your hives.

Way to go!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1.yes
2.keep both full of syrup till your second brood box has comb and stores.
3.add one now
4.makes no difference
good luck,mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts