Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a local resteraunt interested in comb honey for their cheese plates...

There is a local chat forum and the owner was looking for comb honey.

I just started my first hives 3 weeks ago... I seriously doubt i could make any this year, but i do talk to him occasionaly and was telling him i could make a lot more hives and sell him the comb if he wanted a regular supply.

so is the easiest to just take a wireless foundation and cut it into squares, do the round things, or the cassessts, or any other ones available.

just looking for input incase he wants a lot of comb honey

d

·
Registered
574 Posts
My guess is that they want smaller chunks of it rather than larger ones, you might be able to get away with cutting those chunks out of wired foundation which is what I do to get the chunks that get put into mason jars of honey.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You really don't want to use wired foundation (sorry Ben the stuff is too chewy) and cut around the wires, as was suggested. That type of foundation is much thicker than comb foundation. You can do cut comb, just do yourself a favor and buy the thin foundation, or you won't have a customer for very long.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hello, I just take a frame and pop out the plastic foundation or asemble a frame with no foundation. then i run a bead of melted wax around the center of the frame where the foundation would set. My ladies will draw and fill the frame with comb in a few days. I place the frame between two drawn frames already it the super thus I get comb and extracted honey from the same super. When I harvest my comb honey I just lay the frame down and use a knife and cut out along the edge of the frame, then cut the comb to fit my container. Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts