Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first year trying to beekeep and so far so good, this is my package bees that I got last saturday. Today was the 48hr check-in after releasing the queen. There was a whole frame of just nectar and pollen then the next frame was filled with eggs, totally surprised with how quickly they can build up comb- they still eat about half of the syrup feeder per day. Quite exciting to see

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Image 2 shows some crazy comb. Is this one of the frames that the queen cage was in between? If so the bees just took advantage of the extra space. Just use your hive tool to scrape it off. Carfull though the queen could be under it or something. If there's nectar in it it'll be delicious (or you could let the bees take the nectar by placing it outside the hive).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Image 2 shows some crazy comb. Is this one of the frames that the queen cage was in between? If so the bees just took advantage of the extra space. Just use your hive tool to scrape it off. Carfull though the queen could be under it or something. If there's nectar in it it'll be delicious (or you could let the bees take the nectar by placing it outside the hive).
Yeah thats where the cage was, I wasnt sure if I should remove it or not- the frames still sit together alright

·
Registered
468 Posts
This is my first year trying to beekeep and so far so good, this is my package bees that I got last saturday. Today was the 48hr check-in after releasing the queen. There was a whole frame of just nectar and pollen then the next frame was filled with eggs, totally surprised with how quickly they can build up comb- they still eat about half of the syrup feeder per day. Quite exciting to see
Where are you located? You can add that to your profile.
1:1 sugar syrup really stimulates bees to make honeycomb fast. Some folks feed 1:1 syrup in the early spring to stimulate honeycomb build-up.
Anything major blooming where you are located?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are you located? You can add that to your profile.
1:1 sugar syrup really stimulates bees to make honeycomb fast. Some folks feed 1:1 syrup in the early spring to stimulate honeycomb build-up.
Anything major blooming where you are located?
Yeah I have heavy syrup feed, not too much blooming but alot by the roads are blooming

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah thats where the cage was, I wasnt sure if I should remove it or not- the frames still sit together alright
They might connect it to the other side, or all sorts or stuff. Probably best to just nip it in the bud.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They might connect it to the other side, or all sorts or stuff. Probably best to just nip it in the bud.
Okay, that makes sense ill lob it off in a bit.

Also forgot to mention im in NorthEast Wisconsin for the person that asked

1 - 10 of 10 Posts