Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first bee tree cut out yesterday all went fine with getting to the comb and cutting out all the comb and placing the brood in my single deep brood chamber, and then afterwards I sat my brood box on top of the stump waiting for the bees to move up into the brood box with the brood and rest of the bees. Well long story short I went back last night during the evening I went back to check out things and collect the box. I had noticed some nurse bees in with the brood in the box but all the other bees were no where to be found other than a small cluster of bees maybe 15-20 bees, what looked like to be bee's leftover from them swarming from the trunk of the tree!!! Are you kidding me!!!! What looks like they just completely picked up shop and left everything!!! Is this normal? Has anyone ever else had this happen??.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yep! Bees will be bees and do as they please! :lookout: Momma must not have made it into the box and decided to just take off. And people think we should do removals for "free"...."But you get the bees! They're worth something!" Well yes, they are, sort of, WHEN they stay. Sorry they left. I hope you at least have some money in your pocket.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i feel your pain. i did a difficult removal last week and gave the guy a break because this is the second swarm he's had move in this spring. i had single deep full of bees and a few pieces of brood comb when i got home. i'm pretty sure the queen and a bunch of bees flew the coop the next day after i got them home. haven't been able to look and verify, but i think that's what happened based on the number of bees in the box now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very frustrating, the small cluster of bees that I had seen were on another tree close by not the truck of the original hive didn't specify sorry. The area that the hive was in has a few trees in the area and the rest is open field with nothing else close for them. So today I'm going to go out and see if I can find them attached to any trees close by. Fingers crossed;////

1 - 4 of 4 Posts