Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a favorite roach trap using fipronil that is also a good lure for the beetles?

And yes, I know people have all sorts of opinions re: not using the stuff and no, I don't care.

All I need to know is if anyone has any particular favorite fipronil baited traps that work well.

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've heard of using a syringe to put a dab of the gel inside of a shb trap. Making sure that's in the bottom of the trap so there is no chance of contact with bees. The gel form was specified.

Never tried it.

Not advocating for this. Just telling what I heard on the subject.

·
Premium Member
Mutts and carniolans.
682 Posts
Not that I have or will. Last months local meeting the speaker (side liner) was describing his hatred of oil traps. The long, skinny ones with a bunch of holes on top. I was nodding like a bobble head at every story. Spilling oil, no place to set the weird shaped things during inspections... Stopped nodding when he got to the part about large commercial beekeepers using them with roach bait :( Less likely for the bees to propalize or beetles to simply walk out of compared to the CD case style trap. Said it only takes a tiny drop at each end and you can shake the dead beetles out. He is sold on the method, I am not. Still does not totally eliminate the possibility of beetles spreading poison to the bees. Beetle could climb on the backs of others and escape or just beg for food.

Have seen threads about outside the hive traps, not built or used one yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Unfortunately that is in Australia and no help to me in Florida.

Tom
I am aware of that. I was simply pointing out the concept.
I am not aware of any US approved application of fipronil for use to control shb.
Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There aren't any. But I don't care about US approval.

My question was does anyone have a recommendation for a specific roach trap bait containing the stuff that worked for them.

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
T_om, it would seem that people don't want to recommend a specific product for pretty obvious reasons. Unfortunately, you may have to find a product on your own. You should find something in gel form, and any the tiniest amount possible if using inside the hive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure of the obvious reasons you mentioned. But maybe I am a bit slow.

I know fipronil is not recommended for in-hive use in the US but we (and many others) are not commercial keepers that have to abide by that. We don't sell honey. What I put in my hive is my business and there are probably a lot of people like me here.

A lot of roach traps use fipronil and I wondered if any, by their physical construction or any other feature, worked better than others.

That's why I was asking.

Tom

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm not sure of the obvious reasons you mentioned. But maybe I am a bit slow.

I know fipronil is not recommended for in-hive use in the US but we (and many others) are not commercial keepers that have to abide by that. We don't sell honey. What I put in my hive is my business and there are probably a lot of people like me here.

A lot of roach traps use fipronil and I wondered if any, by their physical construction or any other feature, worked better than others.

That's why I was asking.

Tom
I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that using any pesticide differently than it is labeled is a violation of federal law, and if you get any attention from those people it can cost you more than you would like. Whether or not you sell your honey is irrelevant.

If you get their attention, you will be in a pickle, as several people who have gotten on the wrong side of the political system recently have learned. Innocent until proven guilty is a concept of no practical significance in modern America.

So no one would be likely to draw attention to themself if they are using this stuff, especially in a public forum like this.

I would also suggest if you sell or give away your honey at all, that you tell your customers or recipients that you are using an unlicensed pesticide in your hives. In any case, if anyone has any bad thing (like cancer, liver failure) after consuming your honey that you sold or gave them (even if it has nothing to do with your honey) they can sue you, and they probably will.

Your inquiry and subsequent comments on this website are evidence enough for a conviction in a civil suit.

This is why I don't use OA in my hives with the supers on, even though I know it is harmless.

I rather strongly urge you not to use unlicensed pesticides.

Kind regards,

Jon

·
Administrator
11,641 Posts
For the record, what you are proposing is illegal under Federal law, FIFRA and others. It doesn't matter whether you are commercial or not.

·
Administrator
11,641 Posts
It's all there in the FIFRA link l supplied in my previous post. You can stick your head in the sand and claim it doesn't apply to you, but that is not correct.

One of the fundamental concepts of FIFRA is that pesticides can ONLY be applied as specified on the LABEL. If its not listed on the LABEL, its a violation of FIFRA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
T_om, it would seem that people don't want to recommend a specific product for pretty obvious reasons. Unfortunately, you may have to find a product on your own. You should find something in gel form, and any the tiniest amount possible if using inside the hive.
Just want to clarify again that I am not endorsing or advocating for any method of using fipronil in or around a hive. I have never done it, don't intend to. What you choose to do is your choice and your actions.

I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that using any pesticide differently than it is labeled is a violation of federal law, and if you get any attention from those people it can cost you more than you would like. Whether or not you sell your honey is irrelevant.

If you get their attention, you will be in a pickle, as several people who have gotten on the wrong side of the political system recently have learned. Innocent until proven guilty is a concept of no practical significance in modern America.

So no one would be likely to draw attention to themself if they are using this stuff, especially in a public forum like this.

I would also suggest if you sell or give away your honey at all, that you tell your customers or recipients that you are using an unlicensed pesticide in your hives. In any case, if anyone has any bad thing (like cancer, liver failure) after consuming your honey that you sold or gave them (even if it has nothing to do with your honey) they can sue you, and they probably will.

Your inquiry and subsequent comments on this website are evidence enough for a conviction in a civil suit.

This is why I don't use OA in my hives with the supers on, even though I know it is harmless.

I rather strongly urge you not to use unlicensed pesticides.

Kind regards,

Jon
These were the obvious reasons I was referring to.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
My best advice to the op is that he attend a local beekeepers' meeting. Get acquainted with some of the experienced members and ask them what they do to manage shb. If they have some sort of unapproved method and they trust him....they will give him the secret. Even if I were using such a technique with my hives I wouldn't be blasting it all over a public media.

·
Premium Member
Mutts and carniolans.
682 Posts
If they have some sort of unapproved method and they trust him....they will give him the secret.
OP kinda sorta got that in the first two replies. In a round about second or third hand way... Oh, the un named "large commercial beekeeper" in my story was described as being in south Georgia. No idea how far south, but if you look at a map part of Georgia is actually south of parts of Jacksonville Florida.

No fipronil involved, found a bunch of SHB in empty rapid feeders early spring. Never see them there any other time. Yes, I'm lazy and left them on... Also a thermal treatment will kill or drive off all adult beetles from a single deep.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This product is approved for use in Australia for shb. The active ingredient is fipronil. The manufacturer makes some pretty amazing claims, supported by studies on effectiveness and lack of contamination.

APITHOR - Keep your Hives Alive - Hive Beetle Harbourage - SHOP NOW
beemandan, Thanks for the link!

This looks very similar to the beetle barn devices which are sold here in the US. It is interesting though that the device you linked is sealed from the factory. With the beetle barn, you can open it up to clean out and can see how effective they are at the time.

With this unit, I don't doubt it's effectiveness, but unless you cut it open, it is hard to judge how well it is working, past just seeing beetles or not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. Somehow the Aussies (half my family are Aussies) decided fip is fine for hive use. But we here in the US are sitting on our hands waiting for our government to decide for us. I decide for myself. Thanks.

Tom

PS: It is working perfectly if anyone cares. If we start growing a third eye in the middle of out foreheads after eating the honey, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
PS: It is working perfectly if anyone cares. If we start growing a third eye in the middle of out foreheads after eating the honey, I'll let you know.
I trust that you aren't experimenting with honey supers on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts