Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Make sure you give your cell starter/finisher an undrawn comb to give the wax maker bees something to do.

Yes, as Ray says. The sidebars on that standard frame are 1 3/8" wide. If you make them narrow (and space them tight) Those two things should help. Otherwise you have to do some judicious carving!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure you give your cell starter/finisher an undrawn comb to give the wax maker bees something to do.

Yes, as Ray says. The sidebars on that standard frame are 1 3/8" wide. If you make them narrow (and space them tight) Those two things should help. Otherwise you have to do some judicious carving!

thanks guys I will trim it down, but what do you mean by space them tight. I put cells in every hole available.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Cut down the width of the cell bar frame to 3/4" and move the other frames in the box close in tight. Don't make space between the cell bar frame and the frames beside it after cutting down it's width, keep all frames spaced tightly in beside each other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cut down the width of the cell bar frame to 3/4" and move the other frames in the box close in tight. Don't make space between the cell bar frame and the frames beside it after cutting down it's width, keep all frames spaced tightly in beside each other.
Thanks, that’s what I did wrong after I checked at 48hrs to see what took, I didn’t push them back together. I will cut it down to 3/4” and push them together tight.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had a finisher doing this last year and a week later there was a mated queen in the hive. It doesn't look like your grafts are taking. They may have a virgin in that hive and not interested in your grafted cells.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a finisher doing this last year and a week later there was a mated queen in the hive. It doesn't look like your grafts are taking. They may have a virgin in that hive and not interested in your grafted cells.
There are 14 completed queen cells on that frame. I cut most of the burr comb off and placed them in mating nucs. they should emerge today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts