Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, I had a brilliant idea; Why feed sugar to my hive when I can just take a comb full of honey from my dead Warre hive and place it on top of the frames? Doesn't Michael Bush prefer feeding honey? It worked great, until now, with temps in the 50's and the bees bringing in pollen, I don't know how to remove the comb without scraping dead a lot of bees and possibly jeopardizing the queen? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
You layed the frame of honey flat on top of the frames? Then just smoke them good and scrape the frame loose, you won't kill that many bees and the queen shouldn't be up there anyway to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
11,188 Posts
You may be able to insert a hive tool under the comb and pry it away from the frames beneath. Also gently using a 'bee brush' or a large feather may be helpful to encourage bees to move off the comb.

While it may be messy, and kill a few bees, the mess will only get worse if you don't remove that comb.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Dont be shy with the smoke; I had a bunch of wild drone comb to cut off and was smoking it when Queenie came running out of the maze. Pry up around the edges and smoke as you keep working your way around and further under till you can lift it off. You may be able to slide frames out from under. Bite the bullet!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Next time use a cheap, foil baking pan (the shallow ones) or pie plate and you won't have to clean or scape anything. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Lots of smoke. If you can run a piece of fishing line around the perimeter of the comb and draw it in a loop you might be able to work it free without a lot of hive tool scraping. I did that once to a hopelessly glued up box that hadn't been touched in a few years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts