Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collect a number of natural swarms during the season. I'd like to requeen some of them (With queens from my selection) with the most effective method possible.

I thought about shaking the swarm in front of a hive (Like the classic method), but using a piece of queen excluder at the entrance. It's just an idea, I don't know if it could work reliably.

How would you do that?

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
I have done the excluder method when hiving a swarm of what i consider undesireable bees.

Couple of tips as it's not quite as easy as you may think. - First attempt was just an excluder on top of the floorboard, after running the bees in i had a look but the queen was running around under the excluder loose and distressed, and soon as i lifted the excluder she took to the air before i could grab her, and found her way into the hive.

So now, I'm a bit more cunning. I have an empty box on the bottom with one comb, an excluder on top of that, then the main box with frames on top of that. The queen and some bees can stay on the comb in the bottom box and the queen is calm and catchable the next day or so.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
A box with QE as a bottom set onto a hive below.
Dump the swarm into the box.
Drive them down through the QE using smoke.
Pretty soon will find the Q.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
It is sometimes not that simple! All the bees in a swarm can fly including the queen. Mike Palmer gives some good instructions. Not too much smoke, ring the top of the shaker box with duct tape. I find something smelly like Vics vapor rub makes the tape even less attractive. Still I have experienced a few times that I did not find the queen amongst the drones on the excluder. Once she appeared to have flown into another hive and displaced the marked queen.

It is a good idea to do the shake through a considerable distance from other hives and helps, as Oltimer says to have some comb with open brood on it in the box below the QX

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
It is sometimes not that simple!
Well, I neglected to say - you want to work the swarms at the end of the day just before it gets dark.
They are just not flighty at the end of the day.
They are rather clingy and prefer to walk around then.
The queen included - just another walking around bee.
All it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts