Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, one of my hives about a month ago was making queen cells, QC, placed here and there. Most were w brood areas. Some were capped and had a larvae, others looked old, were capped and had pastey old jelly in them. I checked the hive today, nearly 1 month later. The queen looked good but looks like my other hives and has pulled back on laying. QC again , some capped some not, here and there. Most on face of brood comb like a supercedure cell. One was on a frame of pollen w no brood around. Probably saw 6-8. Cut a few out then decided to just leave them alone. These are not queen cups but full size queen cells. No backfilling. Queen looks great, she's a 2013 queen. A split from my feral stock. Anyone else see cells just be built for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
They never build them without a reason, from experience, leave a couple good ones and let that queen get replaced or she'll disapear soon enough and it'll be more of an emergency queen replacement than a nice planned supercedure cell.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Russian bees will often keep a queen in reserve. Just before she's born they will tear it down and start a new one.
As said I would leave them be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts