Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been trying to do this for a while and google seems to have a way that works easily, doesn't always work the same but I just started using it.
go to google
click on maps (you may have to have a default map?) i allready did
click on browse the directory
find distance measurement tool
click on add it to maps

now bring up a map that shows your apiary location
the lool at the bottom of the screen has to have a check mark on it
left click on the map where you apiary is.
move around on the map to find you second apiary, and left click on that location. it will draw a straight line between the apiary and give you the distance between them. i was amazed how close some of mine were compared to the odometer distance.
directions are my best guess as I tried many things to get them working

·
Registered
546 Posts
That's similar to what I did for my bee swarm removal website. There is a calculation you can use to calculate latitude and longitude between 2 points. It uses lots of trigonometry. It can be found here.

http://www.meridianworlddata.com/Distance-calculation.asp

Also, you could use a simple hand help GPS which can be found on EBay. They are pretty cheap anymore. These will give you the distance "as the bee flies".

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Our county engineer's office (the road/bridge engineer) has county maps for a few bucks that show all the roads in the county, and are drawn to scale. I can use a compass and draw a 2 mile radius circle around each beeyard - these maps are close enough for what I need them for.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
There is also a circle generator tool you can use with google earth maps. I played with it a couple years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts