Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to grow my business pretty significantly and I was wondering if anyone knew of any means of acquiring new funds. If anyone knows of any grants or loan programs I'd be so grateful. Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Any help from the VA?
A quick google search shows programs in other states, but does Alabama have any thing?

·
Registered
549 Posts
How much do you need? Perhaps you could find an extra job over winter and use cash to build up. You could buy wood ware and frames as you go and bud them through winter months and be ready to expand by spring.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check with you local Ag Extension. Sometimes grants. Not sure about AL.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Try to put an ads on CL or online classified ads somewhere.
This will be your partnership ads looking for financial assistance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Work evenings and weekends to save up $. Also, sell everything that you don't need to survive. Cancel pay TV and drop to cheapest cell phone plan you can find. Pack bag lunches and never eat fast food. Decide what you want and decide if you are willing to sacrifice to achieve it.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Roger, might as well said to eat only milk and ramen noodles until
he can grow his business significantly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good idea, Beepro. Buttered ramen, salted ramen, honey ramen, garlic ramen, dandelions & ramen, etc. Anything just to make it happen rather than wait for someone else to make it happen to you. Oh, no lotto tickets.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The best way to grow a business is with the profits from the business. If you grow a business with cash, you will never have to wonder where you are going to come up with that next loan payment.

·
Registered
11,869 Posts
Second that. If the business is not currently generating enough profit to grow it, then it would not be a good plan to borrow money for it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hard to do with bees. No honey or bees no profit. Need wood and queens at the minimum and if your going to grow significantly that cost a little. With the boom in beekeepingfor I think there will be a lot of stuff on Craigslist in the spring!

·
Registered
202 Posts
How much money do you need and how much interest can your business afford to pay? Those numbers are in your business plan. If you don't have a business plan then work on that first.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something. I just bought 2 expensive mean hives to start without knowing
anything about beekeeping. Then the ants got them all.
Just an idea that I've been thinking about for 2 months and finally took the plunge. Got my first 3 bee
stings at the early morning of the pickup. A run down hive with many holes and aggressive AHB
inside. Now I'm growing my gentle bees from the reputable apiaries. A simple success formula would be to
control the mites, make your own bee equipment like frames, hives, stands, etc. Go through the local CL to find
materials for your bee gears for free. I turn the free LP boards into painted beehives. They're still standing after 3
years of use with an occasional linseed oil touch up.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I'm kinda in your situation, cash flow wise since I'm going through a real nasty divorce atm.
Ex is trying to keep my 6 beehives in Oregon right now. Called me last night teasing me
saying my 3 traps are full of bees going in and out, then my boys confirm. errrr.

I'm kinda 3rd worlding it here in AZ with my other beehives.
My hives in Holbrook are weak weak, hit by wax moths.
I have to move them , but need a 4x4 to get them out from the little colorado river on the rez.
so I used cl to hook up eith a kid here who wants to learn about bees.
That was my ex's idea in Oregon, advertise for a asst. who wants to learn and work for free.
Best idea ever.

I went one step furthur...Trade stuff on craigs list that's the easiest way to climb the ladder, even if it takes till next season.
You can do it! I know you can. If I can, anyone can do it.

Here in AZ last month I traded a bunch of ammo for several one season use 8 frame double deeps with 2 supers each
complete with tops, bottoms, and feeders, all that just for a small case of crappy 22lr bullets that I got for free.
this lady's bees swarmed absconded she said, so she gave up. my gain for sure.

I've completed 3 cutouts this last few weeks now for free just to get the bees to fill 2 of the 8 frames.

It can be done. I mean...there's all sorts of free cash without loans or doing illegal stuff.
Maybe i'm more creative than most, but I have that ability to turn nothing into flow.

something you coud do on craigslist is to find something for free that still has some value, get it, clean it if needed, turn around and sell it cheap. you just climbed step one, now go find(free) or buy something else cheap on cl bump it up, trade, or sell it for something better.
I don't like telling people this stuff, to much competition, I drive all over just to get the good stuff.

This is something I learned from living on the road following the Grateful Dead for over 15yrs. I never sold anything illegal, my vending setup went from selling grilled cheese one week to rocks crystals, jewellery, and clothing the next.
How...in New Mexico, I traded fireworks for someone’s table of goods, did I take advantage of the head space...yes, so stay sober or someone like me may get your gear.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
You've got to spend resources (money and or time) to make money. You can grow more slowly and under control staying independent. Picking up a partner who's investing X and expecting X+Y in return has it's challenges. Yes, it's faster but if you two butt heads on how to reach the goal it'll turn into a nightmare.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'll loan you money at a 20% rate. Revolving loan we can compound weekly. I agree with everyone else. I decided I wanted to go from 4 backyard hives to 25 production with 25nucs to start. I figured what I thought this would cost and started a squirrel fund. I'll hit my goal with equipment and bees if all goes well next year. Now I just gotta learn to keep bees.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Bottom line, what's your goal? Consider writing up a business plan. How much $ do you need/want? How are you going to actually make money from Beekeeping? Is it enough to pay off a loan? If not reconsider your plan. If you can't sell the idea well enough to a bank to loan you money it may not be a viable plan. You may have to visit multiple banks to find one that understands and believes in your goals. Anyone (private or institutional) is going to need to see a business plan if you're looking for financial assistance. Personally I've grown as the beekeeping income has dictated. It was tough at the start for me to figure out how to actually make money. Once I figured that out I've been buying at the pace I can afford without any debt. I've not paid myself a dime yet but have a nice squirrel fund and I owe nothing on all the supplies I've purchased. The goal being a debt free form of income doing what I enjoy into retirement.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something. I just bought 2 expensive mean hives to start without knowing
anything about beekeeping. Then the ants got them all.
Just an idea that I've been thinking about for 2 months and finally took the plunge. Got my first 3 bee
stings at the early morning of the pickup. A run down hive with many holes and aggressive AHB
inside. Now I'm growing my gentle bees from the reputable apiaries. A simple success formula would be to
control the mites, make your own bee equipment like frames, hives, stands, etc. Go through the local CL to find
materials for your bee gears for free. I turn the free LP boards into painted beehives. They're still standing after 3
years of use with an occasional linseed oil touch up.
Figured CL = Craigslist, What is LP?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts