Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put the bees in the first two TBHs we did this last weekend.

The first was still pretty early and the bees were sleepy enough to go without concern even for new beeks.

The second was done as it was warming up and the bees waking. I wasn't using veil or jacket, just to acclimate myself to the bees a bit and try and get over instinctive twitches and anxiety about bees.

Overall, it went well with only one sting when I jerked as one landed on my neck. I think I twitched my head and it stung me on the neck just under the jaw. Poor gal.

The main comedy was when setting up the queen cage. This provider didn't put candy in it themselves, and the local market didn't have marshmallows, so I used a jelly bean. Also only one hole and that was on the bottom from the metal shim. I pull out the cork, and before I can get my thumb over the hole, there is a head and out walks the queen who I don't want to crush. Having no such concerns she flies off. I catch her and put her back her cage and all is well.

Took the cage out a day ago, and queen was freed and the bees are doing very well. There is a large mass hanging from a couple top bars and I assume if I check next week I'll find a good bit of comb being made.

The only question (and I finally get to it), is that they aren't taking any sugar water. Tried with the solution that came with them. No luck. Tried with new mixed sugar water. No luck. Took the jar out from the feeder board in case it was pushing the mesh down so they couldn't get to holes. Put it outside the entrance on a couple sticks. Still no luck.

Now everything is in bloom. Is it just that the bees are getting enough nectar from flowers they don't care about the sugar water? Should I worry at all?

·
Registered
306 Posts
You're find out, they don't need us. They've been practicing this stuff for about 65 million years and have it down fairly well in spite of our intentions or gaffs. IOW, sounds like all is OK and don't sweat it. Rumor has it they store about three days worth of food in their cute little bodies. I know the excitement is killing you, but sit back, enjoy, peek in today and tomorrow (not for too long), but be advised they can get testy while setting up household and she begins laying. IOW, wear a veil at least so no other sacrifices are made. Oh, and enjoy PLUS figure out where you want your next hive!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts