Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally got up in the 50's yesterday and warm enough to add some fondant
to my hives. I just took off the inner cover and added it as to not disturb them
too much.They were all pretty good with a little fondant left from November.
Almost all of them had eaten some fondant. The only exception was my one
hive of Carniolan's , they had not touched any of the fondant.They were all
using the pollen feeder heavily. So I am cautiously optimistic but not overly so
because any thing can happen this time of the year.:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
The only exception was my one hive of Carniolan's , they had not touched any of the fondant. They were all using the pollen feeder heavily. So I am cautiously optimistic but not overly so
because any thing can happen this time of the year.:)
If you have a hive that is doing nothing with the fondant, take a deeper look and make sure the hive is alive. One thing I noticed about hives that do not feed on the fondant, most are dead-outs and the bees you see in the hive are probably robbers. FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Got near 60 here today, had to take off my sweatshirt. Still be warm tomorrow, mid 50's. High on Sat. when I can get to the bees is only going to be 40. Figures.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a hive that is doing nothing with the fondant, take a deeper look and make sure the hive is alive. One thing I noticed about hives that do not feed on the fondant, most are dead-outs and the bees you see in the hive are probably robbers. FWIW.
Nope not robbers the hive is alive and well. They evidently are really frugal with there stores. Then again they may be building up early because of all the pollen I am feeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts