Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a swarm this afternoon the size of a volleyball.

I emailed a few pest removal companies letting them know i am interesting in collecting swarms.

It was at a daycare and was about chest level in a cherry tree. I was able to use a 5 frame nuc and shook it right in. I am sure that I got the queen as most of the bees stuck around. We buttoned up the box and then some of the stranglers got vacuumed up.

I plan on leaving them in the box until tomorrow then let them free and hope that they return.

Im hooked

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you installed them in the nuc on foundation that needs to be drawn out...then, feed them a bit of sugar water and chances are you will not have any problem getting them to stay put. It wouldn't hurt to feed them a bit anyway just to get them going good. It is great to get free bees isn't it? They will soon outgrow your nuc box, so I hope you have a larger hive body handy you can transfer them to before too long. Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have installed a frame feeder with sugar water so I only have 4 frames in place. I have a 10 frame box waiting for them so i am thinking to give the a good week to get building then move them over. Or should I wait until brood start emerging?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts