Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...Finally completed my 5 frame Swarm Trap

Went with hinged and hooked top.

Hope to get some bee's to move in and see how well that set up will work when I go to evict them to a larger crib lol

Peace Bee with U!

image search

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Those are some nice looking boxes. You took it up a notch with the brass hinges and latch, I only use screws to keep my covers on.
Question about why it would be hard to evict them, you did make it to take a frame right? Frame of old brood comb and when they move in you just put them in a new box.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are some nice looking boxes. You took it up a notch with the brass hinges and latch, I only use screws to keep my covers on.
Question about why it would be hard to evict them, you did make it to take a frame right? Frame of old brood comb and when they move in you just put them in a new box.
10-4 Sir

Went with the Brass cuz that's all they had small enough lol

Reason I mentioned trouble a couple of folks mentioned dat the frames may come out when I open the hinged lid if the bee's attached comb to the top.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ah, you're putting frames in it. I did not know that. You may have some propolis, but I imagine that will do just fine. Good job!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, you're putting frames in it. I did not know that. You may have some propolis, but I imagine that will do just fine. Good job!
Oh Ok, I dig:}

Thank U

Yes Sir

This is my other Swarm Trap where I simply top bars and I do have the top screwed down on it?

Now for some freeloader bee's and I'm set lol

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
10-4 Sir

Went with the Brass cuz that's all they had small enough lol

Reason I mentioned trouble a couple of folks mentioned dat the frames may come out when I open the hinged lid if the bee's attached comb to the top.

Thanks for the second set of photos. The way the 5 frames occupy most of the width of the box, I wouldn't think there would be a problem with burr comb on the bottom of the lid.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the second set of photos. The way the 5 frames occupy most of the width of the box, I wouldn't think there would be a problem with burr comb on the bottom of the lid.
Oh OK

Groovy Thanks

Should I put in some spacers to make the frames jam up?

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Nice. I wouldn't worry about the hinge for swarm usage, but I wouldn't hinge a hive for longer term usage.

Wait until a squirrel comes along and chews through your nicely painted box!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. I wouldn't worry about the hinge for swarm usage, but I wouldn't hinge a hive for longer term usage.

Wait until a squirrel comes along and chews through your nicely painted box!
Lol got a squirrel catcher :}

It's a Remington 552 with scope

1 - 11 of 11 Posts