Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my daughter finally had time to find my postal scale for me so I could finally weigh my deeps
I weighed them without top or bottom boards, just the hive. The top which is full of capped honey weighed 67 pounds
The bottom with most the brood weighed only 40 pounds. Which I imagine is better than lots of brood and not so much honey stores. But I imagine I still may be on the light side. We won't have a frost for at least 10 more days (that's as far as my forecast goes) should I feed them syrup to try to get more weight or are they good?

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
467 Posts
It all depends on your location. I'm not seeing it in this new format. Boy, if you have time my inclination is to encourage you to feed. No trickle feeding here. Pile it on.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
It all depends on your location. I'm not seeing it in this new format.
Using this new forum software system, location can be seen by a "mouse over" or "roll over" of the Member ID/Name on the left of the message on PCs. If that doesn't work on the device you may be using, "click" on that same area.

Note that Location data is currently member-manageable (not required), so some members may choose not to display location data.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your hive is about 3 gallons or 2:1 light
I was looking for the video (I think you did it) about using one gallon paint cans to feed. I got myself some and put three cans of 2/1 syrup on. But in the video it said to just leave them all winter. I live in the Finger Lakes area of Upstate NY won't they freeze if I leave them on?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Never said leave them on all winter

I was looking for the video (I think you did it) about using one gallon paint cans to feed. I got myself some and put three cans of 2/1 syrup on. But in the video it said to just leave them all winter. I live in the Finger Lakes area of Upstate NY won't they freeze if I leave them on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts