Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping we can get some advice...
We have taken over a family small commercial operation (500 hives). Previously all of the honey was run through an old settling tank with about 5 basket filters.

In terms of work flow, we usually have a bottle neck there. So I am trying to think of how best to solve this issue moving forward. There are lots of schools of thought filtering vs not filtering.

Our set up is:
extractor > in-floor baffled sump > pump to filter tank > settling/bottling tank (the honey is clear at this point)

I should also note that the filter tanks are on their last legs, so I can have something made up to match or move to a system like the Maxant fry baskets.

Hope you're all having a good season,
Russell

·
Registered
323 Posts
Many operations don't bother with filtering, they rely on settling to get all of the stuff out. Since honey is so dense, many operations simply pump spun honey into 55 gallon barrels and let them sit for a few days when bottling day comes up after extraction day.

If thats not a change you want to make, warming the honey makes it pass a lot faster, but filters get clogged, especially if you are doing honey, which is why people rely on settling. If you NEED to filter, settle first, filter next to get all of the big stuff out first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We use settling tanks. Infloor 100g tank which pumps to a 300g flattop tank. Most wax stays in this tank and it is easily skimmed. That gets pumped to a 500g tank and that one to the 1500gallon tank in the barreling room. We may have a couple gallons of wax at the end of the year in the last tank. We use a wax press for our cappings in the system.

·
Registered
519 Posts
How many barrels do you do annually? The Cook and Beal spin float could be a good addition. It separates the honey and wax like nothing else i've seen. It does add some bubbles to the honey, but as long as you have time to let the barrels sit they float out in a few weeks depending on ambient temperature.

Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts