Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How quickly can bees fill a medium super with drawn out frames. This is my second year and one hive in particular seems to be filling supers rather quickly. On Saturday I added a second super to this hive. In reviewing my notes I forgot to transfer a frame of eggs from this hive to the one that the queen has gone missing from so they could get a queen. So tonight I went looking for a frame of eggs in the process of looking for a frame of eggs I removed the two supers and both were basicly full ( one 10 of 10 full frames and the other 8 of 10). I added a third super to this hive. None of this honey has been capped so have to wait for it to be capped. So high can I stack supers? Should I add an additional top entrance somewhere in the middle of the supers?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
In the right conditions and a strong hive that super could be filled in a couple of days.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Ten pound days for a scale hive are uncommon, but not unheard of. Worry more about 10 five pound days on a row.

Roland

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If your hive is on a level, and very stable and substantial base, like one of the other posters asked, "how high is your ladder?" I've seen pix in older bee publications of colonies ... well, inside the front cover of Kelley's 1971 edition of "How to Keep Bees and Sell Honey" is a picture of Charles Zellner, Green Bay, WI. standing next to a hive consisting of 9 deep boxes. Several other hives pictured are 6 deeps tall.

My boomer is currently 3 deeps, 1 medium, and 3 shallows tall. Have to use a step ladder now to get the top deep off and on when I bottom super. lolol

Just for kicks and grinnies, why don't you simply keep adding supers, and see how tall it gets? Take a picture, and post it... but at least take a picture for your album. That is going to be neat!!
Good luck!
Steven

1 - 5 of 5 Posts