Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the piedmont area of NC (zone 7). Small hive beetles arrived at my hives in 2008. Last year I would squish 20 or so every time I opened my hives that were in shade. This year I haven't seen more than 50 total all year. Was it the abnormally long, cold winter we had? Are my bees adapting to getting rid of them? Are beetle predators/diseases coming to the area now?

What is your experience?

·
Registered
374 Posts
are you accounting for season? The beetles population, I think, lags behind the bee's population. You will see more later in the summer.

Of course, it may also be that your hives are stronger this year.

Would be wonderful if these creatures were to disappear forever from this great land of ours. And Canada.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes I would have to say I'm see less this year also. Just to follow up on the bottom boards that came across to me this year, they are working great. I caught must last month, but hate to say that the summer isn't over yet. Read through the forum up to now as for info. up to now. As to the thinks of all to get a workable solution to control these pests.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
still really early in the SHB season gang, I hope all of you are right, maybe our weird winter did a number on them, but I'm not holdin my breath.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I just haven't had enough experience with them yet to realize how seasonal they are.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
July, August, September are when you really will see the numbers. They have had all summer to multiply.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have absolutely seen fewer this year. I've killed maybe a dozen in 8 hives this year, and they were all small ones. And I saw a good many of them this time last year. Here's to hoping something is keeping them at bay. I'm ready for them with some good little beetle traps if they come!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Maybe varroa has switched to feeding off SHB!

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
I chalked up the smaller spring populations to the unusually cold and long winter we had. I'm confident that they will recover by season's end.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I normally always see a handful of beetles in almost every hive, but I have seen almost no SHB this year. I even had a dead out with wax moth larva but very few SHB larva -- very strange. But than again the worst time of year for them is usually around the first couple weeks in August.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've seen less than I did this same time last year. I think the cold winter with some good freezing temps probably helped. If so, bring on the cold winters.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
well they are really startin to crank up down here now, so those of you north of FL get ready the cold winter might have held them off a bit but im startin to see more and more as its gets really hot down here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts