Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I brought a bar of honey (I have top bar hives) into the house, and it sat for a few weeks before I was going to process it. I just looked at it yesterday and there were some wax worms (wax moth larvae) in the comb, not a lot, maybe 5-10 that I saw and removed. I also cleaned up most of the debris they left (that I can see).

My question is, is there any reason I cant process and eat this honey? I found one article that said it shouldn't be eaten, but it gave no reason. I won't be selling this honey, just consuming it myself. Not sure if they taint the honey somehow? or maybe introduce some sort of bacteria?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would. We eat a lot of "things" we buy from the store in nice looking packaging. I would do just as you have done and enjoy it. J

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You can eat the honey. You could have eaten the wax worms if you wanted. Whatever is wrong with eating them is all in your head.

I would not eat the worms. I would not eat wormed honey. I would cut away the unaffected comb and give the affected comb and honey back to the bees. But that's just what I'd do, because the idea of eating the worms and what they crawled through is just yuck! But that is just me and its in my head. I ain't sticking my grafting tool in my mouth either.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
There are actually recipes that use wax worms. I saw one for cookies a few years ago. They are supposedly very nutritious. I am opposed to eating them, but it would be no different than eating bee larvae. Bottom line, cut out the areas that have feces in them and strain the honey as usual once extracted.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would cut out the wormed sections. If it is too difficult to cut out without destroying the comb, I would just feed it back to the bees. In addition to the caterpillar webbing, they are also dropping loads of feces where ever they tunnel. Yuk!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. That's what I figured, and what I've done in the past, but now I have a 1 year old in the house so I need to be a little more cautious. I'll go ahead and process it. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts