Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening I found a few dozen bees in one hive festooning from the inner cover of a hive which I was able to observe via an upper entrance. Any thoughts as to what they might be doing?

They are a spring caught swarm.

The attached photo does no justice, but with each warm spell we have, the colony has been progressively removing more and more of the propolis they had utilized in the fall to occlude the opening.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Russ- Boaz, KY (Climate Zone 7a)

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Litsinger, it's really hard to see in that photo if indeed the bees are festooning or not--or maybe just in a clump. But assuming that they are indeed festooning, it's usually associated with making comb. It's not clear why they do it, though. So maybe they're making comb. Or maybe they're feeling frisky and realize spring is near and so they are getting ready and preparing to start construction and all their spring activities. Perhaps the two go hand in hand.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Litsinger, it's really hard to see in that photo if indeed the bees are festooning or not--or maybe just in a clump. But assuming that they are indeed festooning, it's usually associated with making comb. It's not clear why they do it, though. So maybe they're making comb. Or maybe they're feeling frisky and realize spring is near and so they are getting ready and preparing to start construction and all their spring activities. Perhaps the two go hand in hand.
CConnell:

Thank you for your helpful reply- I do appreciate it. As I mentioned, the photo is not very helpful, but I wanted to include it to help explain how I could see them festooning through the opening in the Imirie shim. I'll take another look this weekend and see if they are still festooning, and if so what (if anything) they are doing thereby.

Again, I do appreciate your input, and have a great day.

Russ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts