Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question I have 4 gallons of honey that seems to have fermented can I feed it back to my bees if I mix it in with sugar water (1:1)?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Do you have a local home brew shop? Get some yeast or order online, follow basic mead recipe. Toss some raisins or other fruit in for nutrient to get the yeast really rocking. Plan B is to follow a recipe, assuming yeast is already present and rocking the honey. One of two things should happen- you get a decent mead or a decent vinegar.

You can ferment in gallon water jugs, 5gallon (clean) buckets...and its pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you have a local home brew shop? Get some yeast or order online, follow basic mead recipe. Toss some raisins or other fruit in for nutrient to get the yeast really rocking. Plan B is to follow a recipe, assuming yeast is already present and rocking the honey. One of two things should happen- you get a decent mead or a decent vinegar.

You can ferment in gallon water jugs, 5gallon (clean) buckets...and its pretty good stuff.
water jugs unless they are glass are not a good idea, the pH change with the plastic from what i have read is not the same as a plastic carboy.

make sure your buckets are food grade hdpe #2, do not use home depot buckets, i am not sure but i bet honey buckets would work. glass jugs work.

i normally do not advocate boiling the honey for mead, but in this case it would kill the wild yeast, then you could use a single strain culture and let ti rock.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i normally do not advocate boiling the honey for mead, but in this case it would kill the wild yeast, then you could use a single strain culture and let ti rock.
I agree somewhat with this.

Follow a chosen mead recipe and use a candy thermometer and bring the mix of water and honey to 150* plus or minus a bit and hold for 15-20 minutes to kill bacteria and wild yeasts then cool to room temp using a water bath. Follow the recipe from there. If you try to boil (212*) pure honey you may burn it which makes a mess, and those high temps are unnecessary to sterilize your wort. However, if the current fermentation has gone on too long, the sour taste may linger in your finished product.

You may want to use this honey in smaller amounts as an additive to some other homebrew beer recipes - the sugars will help the brew's complexity, and the extra dilution may offset any sour taste that may exist - you'd be able to make a lot of beer - I use a recipe that uses 1 pound of honey for 5 gallons of beer.
Take a look at this thread for some more info. It mentions adding campden tablets to your honey to kill any wild yeasts and bacteria. Wine makers do this when preparing fruits for fermentation using a particular strain of wine yeast - maybe someone knows how it works on honey?
http://www.brew-monkey.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1076

Good luck. Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts