Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hived a feral swarm Thursday morning. Before i put them in the hive, I put a hive top feeder in place, before dumping them in. The brood box was put upon a queen excluder to keep her in the brood box. I took a peak today, and they were all bunched up on the telescoping hive. I dropped the hive cover down, before putting the top cover back on, to shake them into the frames. How long before they give up the swarm instinct, and start working the frames? I am going after another swarm Sat.morning. I was planning on commbining the two. It will be difficult, if there still bunched up. I guess i could just atart another hive box.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you have other hives,you could take a frame of drawn comb or better still,a frame of brood & put it in the brood box.Then block the entranace for a day or two,If you don't IMO them bee's are going to leave again.I'd also remove the top feeder until you know they have stayed.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
There will be a noticable clustering while they build enough comb to work with. It's not that they are swarming, they are just clustering. They do it as long as needed to get organized and then to build comb which seems to grow out of the cluster.

Why will it be difficult because of them clustering? They are easy enough to shake off.

The includer (excluder on the bottom) should keep them in place, but a frame of brood right now might be helpful and make them feel like it's home and there are duties to preform.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts