Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Was made aware of a nice feral hive only 200 yards from my house. On a dead end road in my development sits an old run down house in the woods. A farmer was walking by the other day and started asking about my bees. He then proceeded to tell me about the bees in the house. He said he knows that bees have been using that house for a good 10 years. I'm really anxious to get bees from this house as they are possibly a good survivor colony.

I've looked on the tax maps and don't know the individual who owns the property, and I'm not sure if he would want the structure torn into. My question is should I set some swarm boxes near the old house or try to find out if I can tear into it. Honestly the cut out I think would be really neat but overwhelming. I found 5 to 6 entrance and exit spots in the house and there are probably more. I've never seen that many bees coming and going.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Put out traps. Probably going to be lots and lots of queen cells on a huge colony like this. You will probably get lucky and catch a swarm coming out. Meanwhile, do try to find the owner and see if you can get permission to do the cutout.

If you do get to do the cutout, be sure to bring a friend. Four hands are much easier work than just two. The benefits of having two people vs. one are many.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts