Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know were three feral colonies are, if they make it through this misserable winter. Two will be cut-outs. The other is in a rather big tree, not to be cut, so I am going to try a swarm trap. The trap method is stright foward and lord knows there plenty of information on this site for the "how to do". In this neck of the woods, prime swarm time seams to be from mid-April thru mid-June, give or take.
The question; how may times will a colony swarm? Pertaining the tree colony, I guess any the same question for any colony/hive. If I catch a swarm, pack it up and go home and wait till next year or put out another trap?
I realize there are a lot of variables here, just looking for some experienced input.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I had 5 swarms come across my yard last year and 2 little after swarms total. Not sure where they all came from, but i know where one went, and I am leaving them be. They have made it so far. I plan on leaving them and putting out traps.

·
Banned
840 Posts
I would agree.

If a feral hive is in a place that is not working out for the public safety or bee safety from people, then I would consider re-locating those bees.

If said feral hive is bothering no one at all, i will leave it alone.

Big Bear

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
After all, if you leave the feral colony alone, each year you're guaranteed a swarm, aren't you? I'd set out swarm traps each year, and collect!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts