Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This report is just out on PLoS. It suggests that feral bees are not different from managed bees

Nosemosis C is an emerging disease in Europe caused
by N. ceranae, yet is found to be well established in feral
colonies. This result could suggest a degree of parasite perturbation
between feral and managed populations.

We can conclude that the sampled feral population contained
many of the parasites commonly found in managed populations.
Therefore, our study provides no evidence that feral-nests reduce
parasite load compared to managed nests.

Crucially, the levels of DWV were far higher
in feral colonies compared to managed colonies, which could
reflect the absence of Varroa control in feral colonies.

Interestingly managed colonies not treated for Varroa contained
similar virus levels to feral colonies. DWV is the most
prevalent known virus in managed honey bee colonies in Europe
and an increasing proportion of viruliferous Varroa mites has been
linked to reduced colony survival. Colonies with high levels of
DWV show evidence of a scattered brood nest, crippled bees, loss
of coordinated social behaviour such as hygienic behaviour, queen
attendance and a rapid decline in the colony’s bee population
Thompson CE, Biesmeijer JC, Allnutt TR, Pietravalle S, Budge GE (2014) Parasite Pressures on Feral Honey Bees (Apis mellifera sp.). PLoS ONE 9(8):

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
an increasing proportion of viruliferous Varroa mites has been
linked to reduced colony survival

Are you now buying into the prospect of more/less virulent mites? It seems like in a past post you thought it was a legend. Just curious.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Beemandan, Who is the "You" that your post is directed to? I don't think the writer of this report is engaged in this conversation.

Is viruliferous a condition of being more or less susceptible to viruses or more o less infested with them?

A quick search of it's definition shows this.

containing, producing, or conveying an agent of infection and especially a virus <viruliferous insects>

A carrier of a virus is not necessary susceptible to it. In fact the most efficient carrier would not be.

I am not sure how an organism not susceptible to a virus would then be more or lees likely to be a carrier of that virus. The only thing I can think of is it's likelihood of being exposed to it. I don't think organisms develop resistance to viruses they are not susceptible to. Sort of like thinking an animal develops resistance to dirt. It is a neutral issue for the infested organism. Such a virus could actually be beneficial to the mite although it is harmful to the bee. There is much discussion here concerning the micro ecology of an organism. Perhaps teh DWV is a beneficial virus to the mite wile being lethal to the bee.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My bees are just fine, thank you - 5th season and going strong. Haters gonna' hate.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am curious how they found any feral bee colonies surviving, since they have proven how sickly they are. How many generations have they been feral,? In my area which is almost completely void of managed bees the ferals have been surviving for at least eight years that I know of, maybe these were only one generation removed from managed colonies that had been treated for many generations, which would account for their poor survival abilities.
I echo Paul McCarty's statement, mine are doing just fine. I admit they do have mites but my untreated hives are surviving regardless of the mites and do better each year.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yep - better every year, and they do have mites - they seem to just live with them. My only losses to mites have been to bees I bought. I am holding at 28 hives at this point beacuse I don't want to work myself to death as a side job.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Gotta love that New mexican spirit... Land of enchantment... Thats where im from and that same attitude towards working with bees has kept them alive. so far so good mites and all..

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yes, pretty darn hardy. My bees are NM bees too. All based from either feral recoveries bred for workability, or NM Zia queens open mated for my area. No matter how you slice it they are all basically regional NM bees. Never had any issues with them.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the original poster.

No kidding......
It woudl make since to me that the 'You" you directed the question to would be the person that wrote it.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
It woudl make since to me that the 'You" you directed the question to would be the person that wrote it.
In my opinion....that might be likely if you (DanielY for clarification) only half read my (beemandan for clarification) original post.
In it I (beemandan for clarification) also wrote:
It seems like in a past post you thought it was a legend.
I (beemandan for clarification) am unaware of any posts from the following:
Thompson CE, Biesmeijer JC, Allnutt TR, Pietravalle S, Budge GE
On the other hand the op (peterloringborst for clarification) has many.
I (beemandan for clarification) hope this clears it up for you (DanielY for clarification)

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Why would you think that Peter posting someone elses opinion has changed his? I don't' find anything in the OP that indicates what Peter thinks of it. I find it strange that you would come to such a conclusion. So I am merely exploring what I find to be an oddity.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would you think that Peter posting someone elses opinion has changed his? I don't' find anything in the OP that indicates what Peter thinks of it. I find it strange that you would come to such a conclusion.
Good gravy, me too. I don't filter everything I read and report simply what fits with what I already think. I don't have any idea what the whole picture is in any case.

I try to see as many viewpoints as possible, hoping to get the big picture, but it may be that the picture is just too big for one person to get it. Fault me for trying.

I am not promoting any ideology; I regard ideologies as the refuge of the fearful and/or the lazy.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bees are just fine, thank you - 5th season and going strong. Haters gonna' hate.
Do you honestly think this adds one cent to the discussion? Nobody asked you how your bees were. The topic is about whether feral bees represent a distinct population from managed bees. If this doesn't interest you, don't get involved.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
"Interestingly managed colonies not treated for Varroa".
Is this statement just a different way of saying feral bees in a box?

What are "feral" bees?
I don't think I believe there is such a thing.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Why would you think that Peter posting someone elses opinion has changed his?
I have no idea why you are obsessed with this. Evidently you still failed to read my entire initial post.

Just curious.
I was simply wondering if he had changed his mind on the subject.....just asking.
Sheesh!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts