Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
If you don't check the shipping costs before you finalize your purchase you don't really have too much ground to complain afterwards.

Shipping packages can be a complex process. Even after the shipper pays for the box, any dunnage* used, and the carrier fees, there are issues in getting those packages into a carrier's hands. Some carriers charge a fee to make pickups at a shipper's door.

*dunnage is used inside the package to protect the contents. (air pillows, bubble wrap, brown paper, styrofoam, etc)

·
Registered
44 Posts
And I know for a fact that many companies consider their shipping department a profit center.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your paying for shipping and an hours wage for the employee that boxed it...in 10 minutes. Try to wait until fall for orders. Many places have thanksgiving free shipping on medium or large orders

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's one reason why I wait to order more than one or two low prices items. Mann Lake loves me and many others. Buy $100 worth and get free shipping. Luckily I have a Walter Kelly Dealer about 30 min from me where I can pick up the small things if and when I need em. Sorry man.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you buy more than the brush the shipping will most likely stay the same,Most places have a base shipping charge.
Just had to order a$5.50 cable that will fit in a small envelope and shipping is $13.95 for example.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Never thought I'd be recommending Betterbee again but they have reasonable shipping options. Their bee brush can ship for as little as $2.86. (USPS First-Class Mail -Parcel.)

Whoever charged you 14.65 made a nice profit off of you. Time to shop around for the future.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Whoever charged you 14.65 made a nice profit off of you. Time to shop around for the future.
Depends how it was shipped. If you happened to check off the 'next day' box on the shipping form, and got it for 14.65, you got a bargain. If it was 30 day slowboat, then it was spendy. And there are lots of other options in between.

Shipping cheap stuff is big business these days. Shipping companies are a bigger industry than manufacturing the goods today, at least in North America. That $6 bee brush probably cost the vendor on the order of 3 bucks when they broke it out of the container that came from China. The real input to the North American economy of that brush, is the shipping charges to first get it from the docks to the vendor (absorbed in the 3 dollar markup), and then from the vendor to the customer, billed as an added extra. Between the docks, and the final customer, it's probably been handled by 8 or 9 different folks along the way, most making a decent wage in the process.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never thought I'd be recommending Betterbee again but they have reasonable shipping options. Their bee brush can ship for as little as $2.86. (USPS First-Class Mail -Parcel.)]

Thanks Wayne, I wonder why other suppliers don't offer USPS as an option? I'll sure try Betterbee next time!

·
Registered
902 Posts
That's one reason why I wait to order more than one or two low prices items. Mann Lake loves me and many others. Buy $100 worth and get free shipping. Luckily I have a Walter Kelly Dealer about 30 min from me where I can pick up the small things if and when I need em. Sorry man.
I'm trying to work up an order today. I don't need $100 bucks worth of stuff right now, but for the free shipping that Mann has it's hard to beat, and I know I'll use the extra stuff in time. I'll check betterbee out. I've not used them before.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I've said it too many times-bee supply companies shipping charges are a huge rip off.
That being said, why did you not see what the thing was going to cost?????

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Does anyone else think a shipping charge for a $6 bee brush should be $14.65? :s
Supposing you were shipping a 10,000 dollar diamond ring to your girlfriend or wife. Would 14.65 be exorbitant? It is not the price of the item that determines the cost of shipping if the weight size and distance were similar.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts