Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bees have about 7 frames of one deep combed, there is a natural flow going on it took them almost a full week to take a quart and a half. should i stop feeding and let them get all natural stuff. another thing that came to mind was with it being a package and the original bees are starting to die and the young ones are not yet old enough should i put a entrance reducer on, i have had no skunk issues or robbing issues. I am 99.9% sure i am the only bee hive within a 5 mile radius.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I see no reason to feed during a flow. Once my bees have some capped stores, I stop feeding. For me, feeding causes more problems than it solves.

Shane

·
Registered
856 Posts
My feeding experience has mirrored Tsmullins. To me, feeding has caused more problems that it solved. If one is installing packages or making up splits and nuts then feeding may be necessary. My bees are in a drought ridden area, and I have fed them off and on for the past three years. In my opinion, once a healthy colony is fully developed, the only reason to feed is due to a severe dearth. Maybe when one is feeding a healthy colony Mother Nature is telling you that bees are not suited to the environment. Obviously, I hate feeding.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
If you are sensible about it, you can feed until your second brood box is as full as your bottom brood box. People who continue using feeding suppliments or buy into constant dosing with honeybeehealthy or other nostrum can indeed harm their colonies by driving them to hoard to the point the queen can't lay. Sugar inverted serves the same exact roll in comb building as the finest honey. It just doesn't matter!~ Bees don't build comb unless they need the space for brood or food. Judicious feeding is not harmful at all. A couple drops of lemongrass oil emulsified into the syrup will make the bees want to store it with doing a lot of damage to gut bacteria. If you just are a little observant, you can spread the feeding out so the queen is not shorted of laying room.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
I meant without doing a lot of damage. The spearmint and wintergreen added to some feeding attractants are great in their place but short term limited use is best. I don't thing a little LGO is very damaging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts