Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another subject I have been researching to death. Feeding my bees the best supplemental food to get them into and out of winter. I have looked at commercial products and Megabee seems to have many happy customers. But, as usual, shipping takes the price up to levels I have trouble with.

Making your own patties seems to be a common practice. I will probably try adding some essential oils to syrup since I am in the natural mode.

As with all groups I see differing opinions on ingredients. I would appreciate any suggestions on patty recipes for all seasons.

Thanks in advance.

Soapy

·
Registered
706 Posts
my advice is to find a good book on beekeeping and go with that. The reason why is this you ask any two beeks and you get three opinions to your question. read Beekeeping for dumbies very good book. my first year I read it cover to cover followed it to the letter my bees do very well and I don't worry to much about them in the winter. best of luck.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have quit making patties and dry feed Mega-bee. I even sprinkle the top board with it and sugar in the winter. Most of it is gone by spring time.

Clint

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
There are a few threads in the commercial forum with patty recipes.

Please understand that the only recipes that are shared tend to be basic patties. The best patty recipes, which have been developed privately by beekeepers at their own expense, are proprietary information which is often a closely guarded secret.

I believe Randy Oliver has a couple patty recipes on his website that are a pretty good patty. Global patties are looking pretty reasonable when you go through the distributor selling on here.

For a basic patty, you are going to have a hard time making them for the price you can buy them for (unless you are commercial and making them in bulk). If you want a special formula patty, you are better off making them yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts