Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi al, Im new at this forum stuff!!! Got a question, If I have to feed the bees in the winter what keeps the sugar water from freezing???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean if there isn't enough honey for winter and I have to feed through the entire winter. If it is 20 degrees outside does the sugar syrup freeze?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Cz

edit your profile to indicate where you are
a lot of this stuff is location specific
some folks here talk about feeding dry sugar
I think they put a sheet of newspaper on the topbars and put sugar on that
I haven't tried it, it's been warm here

Dave

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
It depends on what the temperature drops to, the freezing poing of the syrup you are feeding, and where the feed is located re the cluster. If you are feeding 2:1 sugar syrup, it won't freeze until about 18 degrees F. If its in a jar feeder above the cluster, then the cluster warmth will keep it thawed.

It really doesn't matter if it does freeze and thaw unless in a glass jar. A hive top feeder is arguably an excellent investment.

Fusion

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've heard 2:1 sugar water will not freeze as fast as 1:1 will.Also if you have frame type feeders it may not freeze due to the heat in the hive.
But as you can see from my location,it does not get that cold here....So I'd ask someone with knowledge first hand.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The bees won't take syrup unless the weather is warm enough to fly. So it's irelevant if it's frozen. 2:1 syrup freezes well below 32 F (0 F) but it still freezes if it's cold enough. The only real problem with it freezing is the amount of heat it can absorb before it's warm enough for the bees to take it. It takes a lot of heat (not just temperature) to thaw it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mountain great pictures on your site. I learned a lot just from them. you wrap your hives in tar paper for the winter? and u suse several jars of sugar syrup for feeding? i assume you poke a hole or two in the lids and then the beez take from there?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Light syrup, about 1:1 will not freeze till the temps are consistantly in the low teens or colder.

I use jars with holes punched in the lids, placed on the top bars.

With the jars placed on the top bars they can feed as a cluster when it's cold.

I wrap with tar paper to increase solar gain and for wind protection. I had found the vast majority of my loses were late winter / early spring when clusters were anchored by brood and we had a cold snap. The extra solar gain has worked well.

[ January 15, 2006, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: MountainCamp ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts