Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking at keeping a honey super on my double deep hive bodies, which I did last year for the first time and it worked well. But would like advice on procedure for feeding 2-1 sugar syrup to help pack the hives with the super on? or if I should remove it during feeding. I'd really prefer just to feed honey, and am debating on just feeding back honey instead, which is also labor intensive. I do not sell honey, just extract for my family and friends and because I love the bees.

Currently, I have 3 double deep hives which are not completely full of honey in the top brood box. We are in a nice little dearth plus a drought and wildfires around us:(, so the bees are a little stressed. I've pulled all the honey supers except one for each hive for overwintering. I live in south-central Oregon, high desert. Winter hits here about mid November.

Thanks to any with advice and suggestions!

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you feed with supers on, sugar water gets stored in the comb, if they don't eat all of it next year, how do you know that your honey that you extract isn't contaminated with that? You should not need an extra super for feeding. The queen starts to shut down in the fall and the bees fill the extra brood space with honey/sugar water that you feed them. If you have honey in the combs, you can give them those frames for the winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts