Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When hatching virgins in the incubator I have always put a drop of honey or a small drop of queen candy in the cage for the virgin to feed on. Would it not be better to put a small portion of a good pollen patty in the cage. Seems to me it would be a better complete food instead of just carbs. Does anybody do this or is there any draw backs to this.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Pollen is for brood, not for adults.

Honey is the way to go if you need time to get them into a hive/nuc where they can be fed their proper food - royal jelly.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The bees know the answer. Feed aside, it's always best to get them into their hive as soon as possible to mate anyway.

You could try a tiny amount of pollen sub, but I still doubt they'd take it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,038 Posts
I don't think the pollen will help. I've watched newly emerged queens in my observation hive and what they are desperate for is royal jelly. I once watched a frantic queen shaking worker after worker until one of them tore open a newly capped drone larvae and the queen plunged into it and sucked out the royal jelly. I try to have some crystallized honey in the nooks and crannies of the cap on the hair curler cage. Also, I try to immediately move them into a benton three hole cage with candy and attendants as soon as they emerge.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
226 Posts
If the queens emerged into cages inside the cell builder instead of the incubator would the queens be well fed and cared for by the nurse bees in the builder? If there were 40 queens that emerged would they care equally for all of them?

·
Registered
970 Posts
If the queens emerged into cages inside the cell builder instead of the incubator would the queens be well fed and cared for by the nurse bees in the builder? If there were 40 queens that emerged would they care equally for all of them?
I put my ripe queen cells in these cages to hatch if I don't have mating nuc ready to place them in.
These cages a bee can enter into them and leave at will, I place them in a queen less nuc next to open frame of young larva and feed nuc the Queen hatches and can't get out.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
226 Posts
I put my ripe queen cells in these cages to hatch if I don't have mating nuc ready to place them in.
These cages a bee can enter into them and leave at will, I place them in a queen less nuc next to open frame of young larva and feed nuc the Queen hatches and can't get out.
View attachment 61353
Really great explanation and nice pic. I was going to do the same thing with California Queen cages since I can put them over my JzBz queen cup. I was thinking about replacing the normal screen with a little piece of Queen excluder so the nurse bees could enter. It sounds like that is about what you have going on in that picture. Do they take care of all the queens really well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts