Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should outside temperatures be to start feeding sugar syrup. its going to be close to 50 this week in central ohio. thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
There is somewhat of a risk if you start feeding too early, in that the hive will be stimulated to produce more brood than they can keep warm. If there is a sudden freeze, the uncovered brood will get chilled. The bees will then have to clean out the larvae from the cells and start all over again. The results - a sudden weakening of the hive, but they usually recover alright. You'll find all of the chilled brood in front of the hive. As to the question, it was in the 50's here in MA and the bees are presently bringing in bright yellow pollen so their feeding will start because the weather for the next 7 days will also be moderate. OMTCW

·
Registered
137 Posts
The bee's will generally only take syrup that is 50 degrees or more in temp as others on here say and I believe correctly. You can feed hot syrup which will overcome some average temps lower than 50 but as Cedar hill said you risk chilled brood. I would guess you have another two weeks or more before you can begin feeding. I'm watching the upcoming weather myself! I'm looking for the average between day and night to be around fifty.

We are almost there if the weather co-operates.
I believe I started feeding syrup third week of March last year here in central pa and then it was hot Syrup.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I started open feedding Jan 1st here in the Ft Worth area of Texas. I think our cold weather has past. Lotsa pollen comming in. I think I hit it right, lotsa bees doing orentation flights the last couple of days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts