Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeding my bees corn syrup but that can bee rather expensive.. can someone help withg the sugar to water ratios, and should you change the ratios for spring vs. fall feeding? thanks for any help...
Chris

·
Registered
203 Posts
Propaniac,

1:1 Syrup or One-to-One syrup can be used for supplemental spring feeding and encourage the drawing of comb.
• 1 part (by weight) sugar i.e.( 1lb )
• 1 part (by weight) water i.e. (1 pint)
Simply add sugar into warm water until all the sugar has dissolved to produce the desired quantity. The dissolving process will be speed up with hotter water, just be sure not to boil the sugar solution.

2:1 Syrup or Two-to-One syrup can be used for fall feeding after the last honey harvest, or if the bees do not have a sufficiently large store of honey.
• 2 parts (by weight) sugar
• 1 part (by weight) water
The two parts sugar will not dissolve in room temperature water. Because of this mixing difficulty it is advisable to mix the sugar in to near-boiling water. Do not allow the sugar mixture to boil, as give the chance some of the sugars will caramelize, creating a partially indigestible and possibly even toxic solution as far as the bees are concerned. Be sure to let the solution thoroughly cool before feeding it to the bees. Simply mix the sugar with room temperature water and feed the bees.

I add essential oils to mine and these seem to stop spoilage. I have heard others use a tablespoon of apple vinegar or lemon juice. I have not used either of these.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
Weight works, but volume is easier and just as good. Pints and pounds are interchangeable. A pint of sugar weighs about a pound. A pint of water weighs almost exactly a pound.

Fall feeding is usually 2:1 (sugar:water). I boil the water, add the sugar and then turn off the heat.

So if you use 10 pints of water to 20 pounds of sugar you'll have a large batch of 2:1 syrup. If you use 10 pounds of water to 20 pints of sugar you'll have the same thing. If you use 10 pints of water and 20 pints of sugar it will still be the same thing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I was reading the 'Pink Pages' and have a question. Is it still recommended to feed 1:2 (1 sugar:2 water) in January to encourage egg laying (January 2002)? Thanks! David

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If you read it in the Pink Pages you can take it to the bank, but you will have to adjust the timing for your location.

I haven't used any 1:2. I have only used 1:1 in the spring and 2:1 in the fall. The 1:1 in late Feb worked well for me. Begin your light sugar syrup feeding forty days before your dandlion bloom.

Propanic, sugar syrup is usually more expensive than HFCS and certainly more time consuming.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
I've used some 1:2 syrup (sugar:water) but it doesn't keep very well. It IS easy to mix with hot tap water and if you only mix it as you need it it's not too bad until the feeders get mold in them. It does stimulate nicely. But in February I'm also worried about starving (especially if I succeed at stimulating brood rearing) and they'll have all the water to get rid of at a time where condensation is problem in my climate.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
I agree with Bill. HFCS is usually cheaper to feed than sugar. Unless your getting an incredible deal.

My supplier currently sells HFCS-55 for $14.00 per hundred weight and 2:1 sugar syrup for $17.00 per hundred weight. Prices jump around a bit with the market.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I checked the price for a 55 gal drum of HFCS today from Mid-Con in KC. 635 pounds @ .20 = $127 I wish I could buy it here instead of 230 miles away.

Cheapest sugar I can find is at Sams @ .36 per pound. That makes 2/1 .24 per pound plus the time and trouble to make it.

Now to find someone going to KC...

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
I was told that when you pick up HFCS-55 you need to add 10% water right away to avoid crystalization problems. Not sure if that is reality or not.......

This spring I diluted it 1:1. I also add 1 tbsp of vinigar to retard molds.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Cream of tarter huh.............. What does it do?? I understand vinegar being acidtic. Does it mess with the ph??

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
I am always amazed and the continuing stream of info from you good folks!

Gonna try it out!! Sounds promising.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I, here in South LA, have access to raw cane sugar, probably free, in small amounts and close by. The mill is 12 miles away from my bees.

I have been trying to find some definative yes or no answer to my question but so far, no luck.

The raw sugar contains around three-four % molasses and that is common for the raw cane sugar. I understand that the molasses is not good for bees.

Points to ponder.

Bees are attracted to horse feed which contains molasses, I have been told.

Bees are attracted to the raw cut cane and to the stalks left in the fields, I have been told.

Bees do not go into the storage warehouses, a big building where the sugar is dumped prior to shipping to the refining mills, I have been told.

Bees are attracted to the trailer dump trucks,when parked, used to ship raw to the mills. Although there is no raw sugar at this time, the trucks also move bagass, mashed cane stalks, to processing factories. Told this just yesterday.

Now I note the addresses of the folks who responded and I haven't seen anyone from my area but I just joined this forum yesterday and haven't read too much so far.

I have questioned a couple of bee guys and even questioned the expert at the LA State University on the subject. No one has said yes or no for sure, but have suggested trial methods using different mixture ratios, sugar/water, and progressing toward a 1/1, 1/2 etc.

Replies will be appreciated and I further wish to say that I am happy to be here.

Richard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts