Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Back in the spring when I fifst got the bees the consensus was to feed 2:1 sugar water. For fall/winter feed should I use 1:1 or 2:1? IOW I guess my question is what time frame/season/etc. determines when to feed one or the other? Our winters here are quite mild compared to most of the country but no flow to speak of this year; bout 8" shy of normal rainfall for the year & virtually none since early spring..

Thanx!

Lew in Waco, TX

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm a newbie this year also with two packages, but I try...
Spring feeding is done by a sugar to water ratio 1:1.
Fall feeding, 2:1
Did the bees pack some stores, despite dry wetter?
Konrad

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you lift the hive on one side, [like Michael suggest]....it should feel fairly heavy.
If not, I would feed.
Konrad

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had to clean out lot's off dead bees too.The bees tend to chew the foam making it a little more "pebbley", making them hard to clean.I stopped most drowning by adding dried grass behind the plexi.
I loved watching them feed.
In the spring mine got burred down to the top frames terribly.
In the fall,concerned about robbing,and tired of burred down feeders,I used the feeders over my inner cover,I had a notch that I normally keep UP,between I.C.& T.C.,but flipped over(notch down) when using the feeder so that the bees had to travel up & over the I.C. to get in.I thought I had better vent this way.
I took them off before it got real cold,put a 1 1/2" shim on the I.C.(notch down) with 2 lb. of gran.sugar on the I.C.
I put a sreened medium super on top of that,filled that with dry planer shavings,and shimed the T.C. up 1/4" over that,and wrapped with 15# felt.
Any nice day I could peek in the notch and see the bees(some were carrying sugar or wax cappings).I got off on that.
Try the feeders,but IMHO,they aren't worth the cost if you have many hives(compared to gallon jars),take way to much time to keep clean,unless you do something you will have ALOT of drowned bees,and the cataloge I have suggests leaving them on all winter for the insulation,but I had ALOT of condensation....
Feeding IS fast though,compared to jars.
Just my perspective,I know many really like them.
good luck

·
Registered
473 Posts
Oppp's
Sorry Lew,I thought I was still in Bee Forum,under Mabe's post"hive top feeders and ventilation".

I thought spring was 1:1, fall 2:1or 21/2:1.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Lew, I'm facing the same thing you are. You need to feed 2:1 this time of year, less work for the bees to dry it. As long as the weather stays above 60, I'm feeding mine with 2 gallon plastic buckets inverted over the inner cover. I get them at HD. I drill about 50 1/16" holes in the center. They take it pretty fast, but watch for robbing. I keep my entrances down around 2" from mid-summer on, but when I feed right now, I have to close them down and put some grass over it the first day or two.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Everybody listen up! We don't feed by the calendar. The purpose of feeding determines what the ratio of sugar to water should bee. Usually in the early spring we feed to stimulate the queen to start laying. this is 1:2 or one sugar to two waters. then in the summer (Usually) we feed to sustain them during a dearth. This is 1:1. Then Usually in the fall we're feeding to build up feed for the winter. This is stuffing as much sugar in them as we can and we call it 2:1 although some use more.

If you think of the purpose rather than the year, you can bee more accurate in caring for your bees.

Hawk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts