Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the flow is very minimal right now would it be advantageous to feed a weak hive in hopes that they will have enough honey for the winter? I'm not planning on taking any honey this year so I'm not concerned with that and the type of honey that would be produced with sugar water. I always read not to feed sugar water this late so as not to interfere with honey production. Thank! Josh

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Pick up the back of the hive. If it is heavy, there is no need to feed. If it is light, put on a top feeder or some other contained feeding system and feed. 1:1 syrup Just watch out for robbing. If you have more than one hive, you may want to feed all of them to prevent robbing.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If I find a weak hive, feeding it is the first thing I do. We have a few months until winter, I have been surprised many times by weak hives bouncing back this time of year after feeding. Must be the heat!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
IF you feel the hive will need feed for the winter starting now will be fine, Insure they have the room to store it and check every few week to know when to stop. And yes it would be syrup honey, but you know that. they may find food in the later summer early fall so once that starts do stop feeding.

GG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I’m going to fed for a few weeks and quit once godless rod starts to bloom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts