Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a natural, organic, unprocessed sugar to feed bees in winter?
Is it possible for bees to store enough honey to support themselves through the winter, without having to give them sugar water? If so, how much built up stores would I need to see to know they will not starve?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Does anyone use a natural, organic, unprocessed sugar to feed bees in winter?
Pure white refined sugar is the best thing to feed them with. My understanding is that the unprocessed sugar has more solids which can cause more problems during the winter.

Is it possible for bees to store enough honey to support themselves through the winter, without having to give them sugar water?
Yes, bees in the wild would not survive if they did not store enough honey to make it thru the winter. As a FYI, when you feed them sugar syrup it is called syrup not honey because it is different.

If so, how much built up stores would I need to see to know they will not starve?
Where are you located? In general you want 1+ deep or 2+ mediums of stores going into winter. I prefer to go into winter with 3+ mediums, but it varies by region, and I would rather leave extra stores on the hive than have it starve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upper south.
Do you use the top medium for yourself, or do you mean you leave it all for winter feeding? On 2nd look, you did say stores, so I guess you leave that much for feeding.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Grafter, I am in Richmond. I guess one would call that upper South. I leave one medium, plus whatever they pack into the brood frames. I want my 2 deep/1 medium set up to weigh 100# or more. All of this is sugar syrup as I harvest all the honey placed into the supers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grafter, I am in Richmond. I guess one would call that upper South. I leave one medium, plus whatever they pack i to the brood frames. I want my 2 deep/1 medium set up to weigh 100# or more. All of this is sugar syrup as I harvest all the honey placed into the supers.
I'm just trying to figure out how many of each (Deeps, mediums) to leave for feeding, and how many supers to collect from. As you can tell, I'm brand new to this.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Hi Grafter,

welcome to this great forum! Sure it is good to plan ahead. Perhaps fill your location and giving help will be much easier if one knows where you are, Louisiana or North West Territories, North America or deepest Siberia.

Standard is two brood boxes, and whatever your flow can take/fill for supers. Note: the brood boxes are supers too, but never extracted, so to speak they are the bees own. Some leave more on, say three, but then the third (super) would become a brood box unless you have a queen excluder in between, but you still could get workers brood in it.

Bees are livestock to me, not pets and I seed to harvest, but that is my bee(r) business.

Cheers, JoergK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Grafter,

welcome to this great forum! Sure it is good to plan ahead. Perhaps fill your location and giving help will be much easier if one knows where you are, Louisiana or North West Territories, North America or deepest Siberia.

Standard is two brood boxes, and whatever your flow can take/fill for supers. Note: the brood boxes are supers too, but never extracted, so to speak they are the bees own. Some leave more on, say three, but then the third (super) would become a brood box unless you have a queen excluder in between, but you still could get workers brood in it.

Bees are livestock to me, not pets and I seed to harvest, but that is my bee(r) business.

Cheers, JoergK.
Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Upper south.
Do you use the top medium for yourself, or do you mean you leave it all for winter feeding? On 2nd look, you did say stores, so I guess you leave that much for feeding.
I try to go into winter with a deep on bottom and 3 mediums on top. These 4 boxes stay there all winter. I run a deep on bottom with mediums on top because mediums are easier to move and work. I am running all 10 frame equipment, if you are running 8 frames, you may want a few more boxes. I have a scale under one hive and they went thru about 60 lbs of stores one winter and 30-35 the next winter. It can vary a lot based on the hive, weather, and other factors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I try to go into winter with a deep on bottom and 3 mediums on top. These 4 boxes stay there all winter. I run a deep on bottom with mediums on top because mediums are easier to move and work. I am running all 10 frame equipment, if you are running 8 frames, you may want a few more boxes. I have a scale under one hive and they went thru about 60 lbs of stores one winter and 30-35 the next winter. It can vary a lot based on the hive, weather, and other factors.
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts