Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hives are all a bit light, and there is no rain here in Missouri. Nothing seems to be growing much these days. I put a quart of 2:1 on each hive yesterday, and it was all gone today. Do I keep putting the 2:1 until they quit taking it, should I use 1:1 or alternate? I have had trouble inthe past with the hives starving out in the winter, and I am determined not to have this happen this year. I appreciate any advice you all can lend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Feed, feed, feed....

Until each hive has the required amount of capped honey for your location. Here in Georgia we need a shallow super of capped honey up north with long winters a deep of capped honey will get them thru the winter.

They can't use the syrup when the temperature drops in late fall so feed now allowing them to store enough for the winter.

2:1 ratio sugar to water by weight. 10 pounds of sugar to 10 pints of water. Bring the water to a boil, remove the heat and then stir in the sugar.

I use Honey-B Healthy in my syrup. If you do add HBH wait until the syrup is cool. HBH tends to promote robbing so be careful with weak and strong hives in the same yard.

If you feed enough now you may not need to feed in the spring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been feeding with inverted mason jars sitting over the hole of a ventilated innter cover. The cover also has an incorportated top entrance. (so my hives have a top and a bottom entrance). Should I tape up the top entrance to prevent robbing, or is this not a concern?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yes i would either tape it or screen it off for now, you only need one entrance for now. By screening it off you will have better ventilation. I been feeding with 6 quart jars inverted on top of a screened wood jar feeder. They been taking 1 gallon a day. Just yesterday i seen where they are now starting to take alil less so hopefully they will have enough stored soon. Next week i will be doing a full inspection and will be adding bee-pro patties in between the 2 bottom deeps. They should be good to go for the winter. Good Luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts