Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hive box I am putting on the house trap out will only have three partially drawn frames. The rest will be foundation. Would it be a good idea to put an empty box with a feeder for the fist few days?

Thanks

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yes. They are not 'deciding' to leave the house, like a swarm does, so they are not prepared. You are forcing them out, so cut them some slack with food. This is a rare case where a boardman feeder is helpful. Add some (of your own) honey to the sugar syrup to give it a scent. I have only done 3 trap outs, but by some miracle, they were all successful, with great colonies as a result. Just a tip....get the hive box as close as you can to the cone, and if they aren't touching, be sure to build a ramp or bridge from the cone right into the entrance. It helps them a lot giving them an option to walk in.

I apparently missed your other threads on this, so forgive me if this is repetitive. Are you doing this for somebody other than you??? These bees, when they can't get in their home, get pissy!!! Veil up when looking at the progress! And warn others to give them space.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bees In Miami,

They have no choice but to walk in. Attaching a couple of pics. The trap screen is inside the hive. Thanks for the advice, I will feed them. Are you saying install the feeder on the entrance? I have had really bad robbing in the past from that. I also plan to add a frame of eggs in a few days.

master-1-1.jpg Trap-7-1.jpg

·
Registered
825 Posts
GOHoney...Got it, thanks for the pics. So are there frames in there now? How is it looking? I would not add any eggs....a frame of capped brood maybe, but no eggs. I'd be afraid the trapped out bees might start trying to make a new queen, though admittedly don't know. Have you got the new entrance hive all buttoned up yet? I'll be interested to watch the progress of this. I have only used cones leading to an empty box. Thanks!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GOHoney...Got it, thanks for the pics. So are there frames in there now? How is it looking? I would not add any eggs....a frame of capped brood maybe, but no eggs. I'd be afraid the trapped out bees might start trying to make a new queen, though admittedly don't know. Have you got the new entrance hive all buttoned up yet? I'll be interested to watch the progress of this. I have only used cones leading to an empty box. Thanks!
I placed the hive on at 6am today. Three frames of partial comb and five foundation. I just checked on them around 2. Most had found the entrance but there are still a few confused. I'm sure they will get it. I plan on adding a frame of uncapped brood Tuesday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts