Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to raise queens and feed them a pollen substitute, but I don't like the ingredients in some store bought mixtures. Can I feed them dry pollen, or ground pollen in sugar syrup, or does anyone have a recipe for making it or any ideas or comments on this? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Hives around here still have plenty of stored pollen. If you want to feed em, the best way imo is to take natural pollen and fill empty comb with it. Give to a hive for a week or two to cover it with nectar to make stored bee bread. Then you can put that into any frame. Michael palmer has a pic or video somewhere

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Can I feed them dry pollen, or ground pollen in sugar syrup
Where would you get this pollen? If I wasn't absolutely certain of the pollen source and still felt the need to feed, I'd use a sub.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
You can harvest the pollen from your strong hive to feed the hive that will make the queens from.
A pollen trap will do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
David wick is finding high levels of nosema and viruses in bee collected pollen I think feeding a high quality pub would be preferred over traped pollen.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beemandan, I trap the pollen, have done it for a couple years off my strong hives like Beepro said. Mr Burns, is that undried pollen, either right out of the trap or fresh stuff I have frozen? Thanks Rusty Hills Farms, I'll check into that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts