Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Do you feed pollen sub in the Winter months?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes, absolutely, all beekeeping is local.
In the case of pollen patties it is even more local than we normally take into account. I moved from Santa Rosa to Escambia county (next county ) and my early pollen needs changed, There I had loquat and camellia bloom all,over the neighborhood. Both furnished pollen even during the coldest parts of our "winter". Here there is nothing until the maples,and wild blueberries, bloom.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
1,791 Posts
no Do not feed pollen Sub
Michigan
GG

P.S. if I even thought I would need to then I did a poor job prepping the hive for winter. If you want to make a small late split then you should stock it with resources

·
Registered
339 Posts
It is all relative to what is climatically going on in yours area. I am in NW NJ and this winter so far has been mild. I see bees leaving the hive looking for stores and then comeback with nothing. So I put pollen patties on top of their inner cover just in case.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
1,791 Posts
It is all relative to what is climatically going on in yours area. I am in NW NJ and this winter so far has been mild. I see bees leaving the hive looking for stores and then comeback with nothing. So I put pollen patties on top of their inner cover just in case.
robetro487
Not trying to be funny but.... " bees leaving the hive" how would you determine they were not seeking water or relieving them selves?
"just in case" just in case of ?? what. My bees are leaving the hive as well, warm here as well, did not seem to me that they should then have a pollen sub.
Are you concerned the pollen sub would/could cause them to start to brood up?
thanks just seeking clarity
GG

·
Registered
339 Posts
robetro487
Not trying to be funny but.... " bees leaving the hive" how would you determine they were not seeking water or relieving them selves?
"just in case" just in case of ?? what. My bees are leaving the hive as well, warm here as well, did not seem to me that they should then have a pollen sub.
Are you concerned the pollen sub would/could cause them to start to brood up?
thanks just seeking clarity
GG
Just in case they want to take protein in, just like if they want to take sugar in. Bees know best. There had been times when they didn't touch the protein patties and times when they devour it. Last winter I gave them patties and they didn't touch it. The year prior, they ate them. They will brood up when they are ready to. I also put a pail of beepro during warm weather and they go in there and bathe in it. Maybe they are just playing in it, instead of taking it to the hive for food. Who knows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, I’ve heard it necessitates a need for more cleansing flights, which isn’t always possible in NW Wisconsin. I have candy boards made from sugar, water, and a little bit of vinegar. All 6 of my hives are alive so far. I haven’t even needed to open them yet to feed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Use patties with a small amount of pollen and mostly sugar- under 4% protein- in the winter. Going to put 1st high protein patties on this week- 18%. Hope the weather changes pretty quick
Jerry

21 - 27 of 27 Posts