Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is geared more toward the central Ohio "climate" beekeepers.....

With the recent weather we have had and what they are predicting for the next few weeks in mind. My hives have made it through the winter, but are getting kind of light.

My thought is to add two of those Winter Patties from Dadant and a pollen patty between them on the top bars of the top box. I know you don't typically want to feed pollen patties too early because of brood production, but my goal is to get them to build up so I can split a nuc or two off of them as early as the weather permits.

So....being it is February 16th. Is now the time? Or would it still be a little to early? I am assuming the queen is probably starting to lay a few eggs, but it has been too cold to get in and look. It is however supposed to warm up some by next weekend.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
There is risk involved in putting patties on too early, too much brood rearing in late winter can end in disaster if a late cold snap hits, lost brood or even worse the colony starves on brood. That being said, I still like to get patties on about this time of year in my area if the weather permits me to open the tops and slap them on, and at the same time make sure the cluster is on capped honey, and I usually make sure they also have dry sugar or a sugar slush right on the cluster too just in case. Getting them to boost brood production this early in the north can give you a headstart towards really nice strong colonies for splitting in mid to late April, but as I said there is risk that needs to be closely monitored.

·
Registered
623 Posts
we were thinking of putting some dry pollen sub on the landings next week. we want a good start for some early nucs as well. will monitor the weather closely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts