Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another silly question. I have pollen patties already. In hiving my package tonight, do I simply place the patty on the top of the frames? Other?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
Unless you're in Canada, (I don't know where you are but you could put a general description at least in your profile and it would help when asking advice) I would put them in the freezer and save them for next year. There's plenty of fresh pollen out there. Mine stopped taking pollen from the feeders a month ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael, I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. There appears to be pollen from the willows and poplars, but no flowers yet of any kind.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
Yes, I just put them on the top bars above the cluster. But I can't say they ever seem that interested in the patties. If you have a pattie with wax paper on both sides, peel back a section of the top to give them some access. Usually this makes a tight fit on the top. Turning the inner cover over can help to provide more room (if your inner cover has one side with more space than the other) or an Imirie shim can help, if you still can't fit it in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok...now that that is settled...when do I take the pollen out of the hive? They really do not seem all that interested in it and are bringing in pollen on their own. Do I leave it in until the season really gets rolling in case there is a dearth?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Pollen patties are for early season use, before
the bees are able to fly every day. After that,
the supply of pollen coming in the door should
be more than sufficient for all but the weakest
colony, and the patties are less attractive than
today's fresh pollen.

I agree - freeze 'em for next year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts