Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never fed patties and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
On what to feed i was looking at the Megabee patty from Dandant or the Bee-pro patty from mann lake.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I usually feed the MegaBee patties and the bees consume them very well. I hear Global Patties are good also. Gonna try some of the globals this spring which I got from the Beesource member who has an ad in the "For Sale" forum.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Larry -
Don't start with the patties too early - let your bees rest a few months. Stimulative feeding can do more harm than good if the patties and honey run out before the flow/incoming pollen are on reliably.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
This is what I did but it has been a year so don't quote me. This is what I plan to do this year. This will do 10 hives.

1 Large jar whey powder (I substituted whey powder for mega bee. Either one will work.)
1 50 pound bag of Sugar
3/4 Gallon water (add to the right consistency)

Boil water. Add sugar and boil to a candy temp of 230oF I think. It worked last year. When temp is achieved stir in whey. Pour in mold or other pan. A modifed super will work but I used pans I had laying around.

Mike :thumbsup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kingfisher Apiaries, where do you get whey powder? What size is a large jar?

Thank you for sharing your recipe. I am interested in trying that.

Mary

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I fed the Mann Lake BEE-PRO patties. I do not have any prior experience but these are getting eaten. I put it on 1/2 lb at a time on a little waxed paper. Only opening the top and inner cover long enough to slip the patties in and only when the bees are out and flying around. I started them in November and still keeping them on the hives.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You were asking what the jar size is. It is about a 1.5 - 2 gallon container. It is a whey smoothie mix without much besides whey and flavoring.
Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
look at your bloom calander an figure 40 days before you best be feedin to build your hives up. i hate feedin but another nessary exspence at times.

just my opinion

1 - 11 of 11 Posts